Kriegsmarine

Stu W

Here are some Kriegsmarine badges. I enjoy not only the collecting but also the photography aspect. I hope you enjoy viewing them.

Regards,

Stu

KM group & dagger.JPG

KM group with dagger & hangers.JPG

• Thanks 2

WOW Stu,

These are brilliant, have you been collecting long as to find these superb items?

Wish I could find some like this even the badges!

Best to you...Desert Rat/ Ian

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your comments.

I am well into retirement and have been collecting on and off since childhood when I began with some WW2 bring backs from my father. Like many others I started collecting items in whatever condition I could afford. As my collecting interests evolved I chose to collect few items in as near to new condition as I could find rather than more items in a lower level of condition. It was much easier to do back in the day so to speak. Bayonets, with matching serial numbers, were commonly available for $1 to $5 each and could be found by the barrel full at most surplus stores. Dress daggers were $30-$40 and a very nice Chained SS could be had for $200. EKII were plentiful and I've purchased some for as low as 50 cents each and EKI were not much more costly although they were less plentiful.

A Boy Scout in the late 40's and early 50's was outfitted with surplus army gear. Canteens, bread bags, ruck sacks etc.  All of which was provided free to the Scouting organization from the federal government as it scaled down post war. Every kid on the block had a bring back German helmet and gas masks were plentiful too. We must have looked hilarious running around the local parks all geared up and yelling "Bang" at each other as we reenacted battles we'd one day read about. I say read about as it was common for our returning fathers to put the events behind them much as their fathers had after the First World War. What they went through was not a topic for discussion.

Back to the original question about finding items of this quality, it's still possible but the prices have gone crazy. Just take the example of the iconic EKII. There were millions made in WW2 and for the most part those that survived the war are still around. The collector network is shrinking as we age out and the demand is not there in my view as the younger generations have no interest in what we found so attractive. Yet we see common EKII selling at prices that now exceed $150 in some cases. It's madness and has greatly damaged the hobby as has the influx of fakes and reproductions.

However, that's a topic for a different day/rant so I'll leave you with a couple photos of an example of an item that I like to add into my displays and then sign off.

Regards,

Stu

P4230002 (Large).JPG

P4230007 (Large).JPG

• Thanks 1

Hello Stu,

Thanks for the super written text very interesting! Also great medal....probably very rare to find nowdays?

Best Wishes & Thanks...Desert Rat/ Ian