Scots Guards Assoc ( Border Branch)

Norrie

I came across a group of folders containing stuff from the above Regt Assoc at a car boot sale a year or so ago, and just left them in a drawer.  They are telegrams dating from 1960 to about 1969....from the Assoc to the Queen and the Duke of Gloucester and back from them to the Assoc. Their are one or two actually from the Queen...and not just her private secretary..

http://www.scotsguards.co.uk/about.htm

Its all about their annual regimental dinner, some cracking photos of very "Army" type officers in their best bib and tucker civvy gear...:)

So, I didn't really know what to do with them, and had a thought that I would contact the Assoc, to see if they would like them back...TBH, their is no reason anyonw would throw out such important stuff...so, dread the thought, they had appeared at the boot sale illegally....

Am just waiting on a reply...:)

20190122_210955.jpg

20190122_211009.jpg

20190122_211027.jpg

20190122_211033.jpg

20190122_211040.jpg

20190122_211047.jpg

20190122_211050.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

WOW....Norrie

.....Superb documents and invitations from the Queen herself, these are one in a million to find I am sure, but great to have them in your collection...Hope that you find many more exceptionally rare items again, let us see them mate and ManY Thanks for showing us on MCN.

Best to you...Ian

• Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 21:21, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

@Norrie, Great stuff there! I have a Royal Scots Guards Bayonet from WW1. 

Excellent, I have a couple of 1907 Sandersons...but nothing with a Regt stamp...:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 24/01/2019 at 12:33, Desert Rat said:

WOW....Norrie

.....Superb documents and invitations from the Queen herself, these are one in a million to find I am sure, but great to have them in your collection...Hope that you find many more exceptionally rare items again, let us see them mate and ManY Thanks for showing us on MCN.

Best to you...Ian

Well, to put an end to the tale Ian, I did contact the Scots Guards assoc ( Borders Branch) and been chatting to their secretary, a smashing guy, he tells me that Brig Swinton MC won his MC during WW1, losing his left leg in the process!!! His son also a Scots Guard officer, during WW2, and the present President of the Border Branch, also lost his left leg in battle...I think I may have a picture of them both at one of the meetings...:) I'll post it up in a few mins...:) Anyway, I got on so well with "Eck" the secretary, that I donated all my files to the Assoc....incl the one above, which is from their very first dinner.,..:) So, a great end to a great story...and I am really happy at the outcome...I scanned and saved everything, so i have a momento of them, and to remind me of what I once had...LOL...:) 

I had already sent a one years file, think it was 1965,  to my aunt in California , ..., who is an exp pat and a fervant Royalist...she has it all framed and hanging on her lounge wall...:)

Pic one, father and son, pic 2, the boys at the first dinner...:) Some array of medals between them all...:)

Scots Guard telegrams025.jpg

Scots Guard telegrams027.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

Thanks for the update and images...Superb!

My Mum's brother - Andrew Strachan - was in the Scots Guards, I think during WW2?, can't really remember what my Mum told me, but as far as I know he wore a bearskin hat, I have a photo of him somewhere in his uniform and sword etc.....I will try and find it.

Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Thanks for the update and images...Superb!

My Mum's brother - Andrew Strachan - was in the Scots Guards, I think during WW2?, can't really remember what my Mum told me, but as far as I know he wore a bearskin hat, I have a photo of him somewhere in his uniform and sword etc.....I will try and find it.

Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

Hi Ian., Looks like your uncle Ian served under Bgdr Swinton too then...What a small world...:)

• Thanks 1

Well Norrie, you are right.....It's a small world! At least I now know who was the Brigadier. Bet he met him as well..

Thanks very much for letting me know. I never met him which is a terrible shame...I would have loved to see him in his complete uniform.

Such is life!

Very best to you & your family....SCOTLAND THE BRAVE...!!!

• Like 1