sad day for my Pickelhaube

Afrikakorpsrat64

Nothing starts a day off bad like tipping a shelf while cleaning , sending everything to the floor, and breaking your 104 year old pickelhaube! 😭 I can glue the very brittle visor together, but she will never be the same. I also lost a very old German beer mug. 😢

20190125_082520[1].jpg

• Sad 1

Hello Tony,

I hope all is well.........

aaaarrrggghhhh what a shame to damage the Pickle let alone the beer mug, nothing is ever the same once it is broken and repaired.

I dropped my MK 2 Sten Spiked bayonet last week and snapped off the metal tag that holds it in the muzzle, really pissed off, now I need my mate to weld it Good...I hope?

Take Care Tony & Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Tony,

I hope all is well.........

aaaarrrggghhhh what a shame to damage the Pickle let alone the beer mug, nothing is ever the same once it is broken and repaired.

I dropped my MK 2 Sten Spiked bayonet last week and snapped off the metal tag that holds it in the muzzle, really pissed off, now I need my mate to weld it Good...I hope?

Take Care Tony & Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

Yes @Desert Rat(Ian) it gives me a sick feeling 

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

Well, when you think about your Pickle, it's over 100 years old, been through a bloody war for 4 odd years, been worn (thrown about?) finally you get it in your collection all in great condition and.......one false move with a feather duster / wipe🤬......... and it buggers our pride and joy in our collection!!!

Sorry to hear it Mate....Hope it can be repaired to a perfect? near perfect condition and no one will know (only you) still a big bummer for you!!!

Best to you....Ian

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not , it can be repaired and with a slight clean over the whole helmet you might not see the difference, the peak will glue back with the correct type of glue and then a thin layer of black boot polish to hide the joins . I did this to mine a long while ago and it returned to a pretty decent original look and aged look

• Thanks 2

Hello Tony & Dave,

I think Dave has a very good solution for your Pickle to be repaired, sure it will work...he is the Man with all the knowledge!

Best to you both...Desert Rat/ Ian

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Davejb, that sounds like the plan! I was able to put the pieces in to keep them from any more damage or loss till I can get the right glue and things together.

20190201_110632[1].jpg

• Like 1

You can do it Tony,

It will look like new when all repaired....Hope to see the finished Pickle, and some more of your great items.

Very Best to You...IanB

• Thanks 1

Tony, was the peak stitched in before it was dropped, or have the stitches blown out , either way, they need to be stitched back in before applying the boot polish, this will help to firm up the peak and keep the cracked bits in line. If you need any help let me know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

How are you getting on with the pickle?

Hope it's all looking..as good as new, now that you have hopefully repaired it.

Good Luck and look forward to seeing the finished Pickle.

Best to you....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Upvote 1

On 01/02/2019 at 12:55, Davejb said:

Tony, was the peak stitched in before it was dropped, or have the stitches blown out , either way, they need to be stitched back in before applying the boot polish, this will help to firm up the peak and keep the cracked bits in line. If you need any help let me know

Hi @Davejb, it looks to me like it may have been glued in due to blown stitches. If so, I am hoping to make a better repair/restoration of it. 

Hi @Desert Rat, havent had a chance to start on it yet but hope to do so this coming weekend! I'll keep ya posted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony,

Look forward to seeing in this great item, when all finished by you.

Very Best to you...Ian

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/06/2020 at 13:29, werwolf12 said:

Maybe there was a curse on the helmet!

Or the curse is on me. Luck "O" the Irish , and its all bad for me. lol

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello My Old Mate,

Sorry it's been so long. I hope you and the cats are well and will chat to you soon......As Always My Friend Best Wishes......Desert Rat/ Ian

The Lone Poppy...Taken by me in the Somme a long time ago......Soon the Remember All those who were killed, lost and missing...!!

LONE POPPY TO REMEMBER THEM ALL - Copy.jpg

• Upvote 1