M27 Irish "Vickers" Helmet

Afrikakorpsrat64

I managed to get back one of my old M27 Irish Vickers made helmets I sold many years ago. Made a trade and she is now back home with me. Its a nice one, has much of the original green paint still on, and liner is still nice. 

20190125_111832.jpg

20190125_111850.jpg

20190125_111914.jpg

20190125_112024.jpg

20190125_112053.jpg

20190125_124429.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for showing us Tony,

These superb helmets and glad you got one back....Superb Collection!

Best wishes....Ian

• Thanks 1

Thats a nice collection there Tony, its strange but we dont see many of then over here, I ,ve not seen any at War and Peace in 7 years of going there, and seeing Ireland is just a short distance across the Irish sea, you would think we would find more in England

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Davejb said:

Thats a nice collection there Tony, its strange but we dont see many of then over here, I ,ve not seen any at War and Peace in 7 years of going there, and seeing Ireland is just a short distance across the Irish sea, you would think we would find more in England

I agree @Davejb, very odd that so many ended up here in the US. If only they could "talk" and tell us of there journeys 

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Yes quite strange that many ended up in the USA....But maybe the millions of Irish Immigrants during that time, and years before wanted to find these type of helmets for a collection, or the lost loved ones during "The Great War"....and this could only be a Remembrance of them??

Best to you...Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Upvote 1

Another thought too is the US servicemen that were over there during and just after WW2, the interesting shape of the helmet I am sure was an attraction and maybe they brought many home.

• Like 1

Good point Tony,

I never thought of that, maybe when General Pershing's men were waiting embark from British or Irish ports (at last to get home) they may have well bought these for a pittance, as a reminder of their Irish Ancestry, lost mates, and for the only reminder that they could find, that these Brave Men (Boys) from the USA took them home/

Best to you...Ian...Very good point though!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Nearly had one of these when I was a kid, you always regret what you don't do!!!!!

Rich

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

If I remember correctly these helmets were worn by the Curragh camp guards in Ireland where German and British airmen and kriegsmarine crews were interned during WW2, the camps were very comfortable and all were treated well, At wars end many Germans remained in Ireland and married local girls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I have been studying the history of the Free Irish Republic.  It's history is so complicated and nuanced that it makes for a fascinating and somewhat contradictory endeavor, especially it's position during the second world war.

• Upvote 2