FuG 10 installation

Funksammler

The FuG10 (or FuG X) installation was the standard radio installation used on twin engined and larger Luftwaffe aircraft. It was introduced around 1939 to replace the FuG III installation used before. New bombers like the Ju88 were designed to use the FuG 10 from the outset, the photographs show the installation as it would have been installed in a Ju88 A-1 bomber:

DSC00689.thumb.JPG.da06b12fa40a52a114fe42465d023315.JPGDSC00686.thumb.JPG.a7a5f3aa4b6704a17bb1464add419f92.JPG

The complete installation consisted of a long wave receiver and transmitter (marked EL and SL) and a shortwave receiver and transmitter (EK and SK). An intercom switch box (bottom right) allowed the radio operator select the various radios and listen to the intercom. The crew of the aircraft could also be switched to the short wave radio (which was used for air to air communication). Initially the installation could only work with morse code, from about 1941 the shortwave transmitter could also transmit voice for air to air communication. A remote control unit for the antenna installation (top right) allowed the trailing antenna to be controlled and operated the two antenna tuners remotely. Each aircraft was fitted with two antennas, a fixed antenna (running from a mast near the cockpit to the rudder of the aircraft) and a trailing antenna (a wire up to 70 meters long that could be reeled out once the aircraft was at height). The trailing antenna gave better range but could obviously not be used in all situations. The transmitter's power supply is fitted to the bottom of the panel, the receiver's power supply and the intercom amplifier were fitted to the backside of the radio panel. An intercom junction box at each crew position completed the installation.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

HELLO, I like  your radio set up for the JU88 . I am collecting parts for a JU88 cockpit project i want to build .

i would love to see any other picture you have of the  ju88 radio wall . like the other side , do you have the dimentions of the panel?

Regards Richard