Normandy D Day 75th Anniversary.

Norrie

Anyone going to this?? Looks like me and some guys will be...just had an invite...its been on my bucket list since I was a small boy...:)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/28/parachutists-to-fill-skies-over-normandy-on-75th-anniversary-of-d-day?fbclid=IwAR23LAvXDC2nCz7wSyIymqKxZUgxbu4jXCojZwqYtub1z_IVflmBNvlD3ms

• Like 1

Good Luck Norrie,

On your visit to Normandy, If you have never been before it is exceptional, so many Museums, Cemeteries, Monuments etc. But try and try and get to Omaha Beach Cemetery...Very sad, but beautiful. I have been to Normandy every year more or less since 1986. To remember my Dad who landed on Sword Beach in the afternoon of 6th June - D-Day, they fought up through France, Belgium, Holland and with  Monty's 21 Army Group over the Rhine at Wessel and into Germany....Then recalled as the war ended!

If you get to Omaha Beach...Amazing NO cover at all for the US soldiers!!!

It will be a wonderful time of remembrance !

Very best to you....Ian/ Desert Rat

All Images Sole Copyright of Ian R Bridle   www.edenbridgetown.com

AROMANCES 01.jpg

DICK 02.jpg

IMGP3075.JPG

IMGP3570.JPG

IMGP3596.JPG

IMGP3642.JPG

IMGP6107.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian...never been before...and totally in the hands of the guys who are organising the trip..I am being lifted and laid so to speak.....so, not sure I can get to Omaha...they are all mainly RAF vets and historians... my main personal aim is  to get to the Merville Battery and Point Du Hoc...as they have special significance for me.......:)

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Yes I have been to the Merville Battery many times, but it's changed over the years. But Ottway went in with 100 men...and came out with 15 (I think?) a terrible loss considering the mines, barbed wire and gun emplacements.

They have a C47 there on display and down the road you can see the German Radar Dish, a radio truck and a few items....just climb over the fence, there was no one there at all, as it was in a secret position. Bit difficult to find but you can buy a Michelin map of the original beaches, gun postition's, cemeteris etc etc...only about a £5.

I will send some images of the radar and Merville.

Oh when are you going? as it's bloody breezy and cold at times...Try and get to Point De Hoc where to 2nd Rangers took it....Bloody frightening to see how far down it is and them having to rope/ ladders, under fire and grenades to get to the top, no wonder they shot all the enemy they came across(well most of them)

Also to St Mere Eglise (John Steel is the parachutiste that hung from the steeple,...101st or 82nd) and the Museum across the road is Superb...Some shops selling military stuff just by the Church square.

You really need at least 1 to 2 weeks to find all the interesting place??

Very best to you...Ian/ Desert Rat

.Here's the EBay number for the copy of the original Michelin map - 

eBay item number:
312234379399.....worth buying / Battle of Normandy - Michelin Historical Map 102 Map 9782067002623

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pointe-du-Hoc-Secret-Operations-by-Howard-P-Paperback-Book-The-Cheap-Fast/302376488184?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D56003%26meid%3Dc29bb0288e5b4fe59760b6a8c8e463c6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D290634741161%26itm%3D302376488184&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

All images sole copyright of Ian Robertson Bridle   www.edenbridgetown.com...Please if you use them please add a credit to me...Thank You!

C 47.jpg

IMGP3757.JPG

IMGP3760.JPG

IMGP6212 (2).JPG

IMGP6213 (2).JPG

PARA PEG MEM - Copy.jpg

IMGP6742.JPG

IMGP6799.JPG

IMGP6811.JPG

HORSA 01.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Thanks 1

The reason I want to go to Merville, is because my uncle and two other Mosquitos attacked it a few minutes after midnight on the 5th/6th....then they watched Lancs bomb the area, they went in again, then cleared when the Glider train arrived...all stirring stuff...:) And, his point of entry into and out of Europe most nights  in 1944 was Point Du Hoc....:) If I go, its only for 4 days....from the 4th - 8th June....like i say, am at the mercy of the guys that have invited me...:)

BTW, Literally just bought that wee book... Thanks Ian...:)

d day.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Was your uncle a Mosquito crew or pilot?

Beautiful aircraft and super speed to combat the enemy, very interesting your image the information on the planes records, they all were such Great Heroes....We Remember Them!

I, hope you get to Merville as very interesting.

Best to you...Ian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Was your uncle a Mosquito crew or pilot?

Beautiful aircraft and super speed to combat the enemy, very interesting your image the information on the planes records, they all were such Great Heroes....We Remember Them!

I, hope you get to Merville as very interesting.

Best to you...Ian

Hi Ian, He was a pilot..my mums older brother....Flt Lt. John ( Jackie) Reid 605 (County Of Warwick) Squadron...an intruder sqdn...:) Unfortunately, he and his observer  F/Sgt Ray Phillips were killed over Margate on 26th June 44, when their Mossie FBV1 broke up and exploded at about 1000 feet...:( Consensus of opinion from the De Havilland Museum at London Colney is a fault with the oxygen bottle that caused the explosion...

Jackies promotion to Flt Lt came through 5 days after his death....and rays about the same time...:(

BTW, the aircraft mentioned in his logbook page is the one they were both killed in...

Reid and Phillips..jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

What a super image of both "Heroes" of WW2....and both good looking men, what a terrible shame it was his last OP before going on leave. I bet it broke your Dear Mum's heart when the telegram came through!

Great, Great photo of two young men...as like the other hundreds of young "Boys" killed in the RAF alone during WW2!

Thanks Norrie, I bet you would have loved to have met him.....IanB