Wreck of the USS Hornet (Doolittle raid) has been found!

Afrikakorpsrat64

This is a link to a news story regarding the finding of the WW2 USS Hornet off the Solomon Islands. The Hornet was used to launch the B25's from Jimmy Doolittle's squadron when they bombed japan in 1942. If this link does not open, google" the USS Hornet Wreckage Found". 149 crew were lost when it sank.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/wreck-of-wwii-aircraft-carrier-uss-hornet-discovered-in-the-south-pacific

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Hope all is well.

Great link you sent....Thanks!

I, remember seeing the film on UK Documentaries...(from Memory) 40-? B25's took off and only a few, flew on and landed back to another base?

Now that they have found the wreck site, it will be a very sensitive and sad time for those left behind in the USA who now know where their loved ones are...at least some tragic reminder.

I didn't realize that the loss of over 149 crew from USS Hornet were lost...All young "Boys"...as with every war.....always the same tragic ending. We will never realize or imagine what all these "Heroes" went through. And I think of the US Bomber Crews from the UK alone that lost over 350,000 men in bombing Germany!

Very Best Wishes....IanB

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian:

I understand that they are keeping its exact location a secret to keep people from scavanging the wreckage and it is now a Memorial tomb. Very interesting stuff !

• Thanks 1

Yes Tony,

Keep it secret as all the greedy B.......asTar***S, will pillage this most important wreck site and destroy it!

Brilliant story, as with all War stories filled with loss and sadness!

Best to you...Ian

• Upvote 1

Good to see you Tony on x4 images of you on the - Topics  - items! At least it's not all communications.....!!!

Best to you....IanB

• Thanks 1

I have read that the uss hornet is at a deep of 5.000 meters 

so no danger  divers will take anything , only robots could go to such

deepness and they are very expensives 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1