Did ORPO's DF receivers emit signal?

ARYEH

Hi:
Most interesting book about the cat and mouse conflict between the Polish Underground's Radio operators and the German Radio Detection/Direction Finding units in occupied Poland.
https://https://archive.org/details/fightingwarsaw001906mbp/page/n6

On a few occasions the book relates that the Polish operators could tell that the vans were near by hearing a screech in their headphones. I read that the Gurtelpeiler was a superhet that had a regen stage. I dont know about the Kapsch R30  and the Kapsch Kofferpeiler. The Polish Transmitters were in the 40m band. Their equipment was home built and they used separate transmitter and receiver - later on they received  equipment that was parachuted to them by RAF etc
I have not read other accounts about Partisan Radio units in Occupied Europe being able to hear their hunters equipment. (see hearing.pdf)
Any ideas?

hearing.pdf

Edited by ARYEH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

val Thanks for info. I have the Trenkle book that ab4oj took images from but no info on the HF version. Same goes for CDVANDT.

BTW updated my post.

The germans avoid use of superheterodyne for marine use in early time

as it’s possible to detect the small signal generate by the local oscillator

but later they stop and use T9k39 or E52.

about the polish use of  tx or rx , i suppose they use 2 different antennas

or they have a break in system that connect antenna to rx or tx,with one antenna.as when they are sending they can’t  hear anything ,the dangerous moment is during the sending ,fix station search first ,then vans , and when

they are near tx in a hundred of meters they use gurtelpeiler, meaning that

they are near the goal, 

when using a soe set like b2 you need to pass from tx mode to rx by switching the antenna switch ,so hearing  a -screech will be difficult as it can happen during time you send or when switching. Later the nelka serie of polish set

were fitted with a breaking , in this case directly after you stop sending

the receiver is automatic activate.

it’s what i guess , as i never hear that it’s possible to know if the ennemy is

hunting you.About  wanze i believe it’s used for tracking radars signals  in 200 mhz band but not for 7mhz band spectrum analyser were rare at this time.

i know there was an american device that is connect to a receiver and allow to measure the tx frequency,it’s a war time unit. I have it somewhere.

Thanks for reply.  Spectrum analyzers were rare but it seems that Hagenuk started to develop them. in 1937 (Trenkle - Die deutchen Funkpeil-und-Horch-Verfaren bis 1945.). The Americans used a few versions of Hallicrafters Panadaptor.    As for the hunted hearing  the hunter .... it's a mystery and havent  read about in other books.        With all collections of WW2 German Radio eqpt  I haven"t seen W.Anz {a,b,c,d - which I assume are HF models) and Gurtelpeilers are rare also, but a very few are in collections

One thing i can think of is that they used jamming - that's the screeching sound...

Also - jamming works two-folded - you generate strong signal at their receiving freq

to detect their set if they use superhet.

i visit years ago gunter hutter

he show me his gurtelpeiler

if i remember wel the wooden box where the coils

are stowed is a replica.

i must be happy as i also

own a gurtel peiler  it's

the specimen illustrated in 

louis meulstee book

Thanks Val for link to Funkabwehr.  Did you read "London Calling North Pole" by Giskes - an interesting book about Abwehr/Funkabwehr and the Funkspiel in Occupied Holland?

H.J.Giskes1.jpg

Edited by ARYEH