War and Peace show

Davejb

Hi all, I dont know how many of you get to see the above show thats now been moved to Folkstone in Kent, in my opinion the show has suffered greatly since the move, the venue itself is awkward to get to, the setting out of stalls is interrupted by a road with barriers either side, eating areas are sadly lacking in seating, the vehicle displays are only really visible from the grandstand, and the quality of stalls has been diminished drastically, the actual drive from the main road to the site is a nightmare of deep ruts, and on the two occassions I,ve been, there was heavy amounts of water along the track. Its a shame that they had to move sites. I think personally that the Odessey show is far better for layouts, access, a covered indoor stalls area, toilet facilities, disabled access, and the idea of placing disabled scooters etc at the front entrance is far better than Folkstone, who for some mad reason decided to place their disabled buggies nearly 300yds away from the main entrance, its a shame they could,nt get the same venue as Odessey, I would like to hear your comments as I,ve heard rumours that this might be their last year at this venue, where they go from here is anyones guess

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Hi all, I dont know how many of you get to see the above show thats now been moved to Folkstone in Kent, in my opinion the show has suffered greatly since the move, the venue itself is awkward to get to, the setting out of stalls is interrupted by a road with barriers either side, eating areas are sadly lacking in seating, the vehicle displays are only really visible from the grandstand, and the quality of stalls has been diminished drastically, the actual drive from the main road to the site is a nightmare of deep ruts, and on the two occassions I,ve been, there was heavy amounts of water along the track. Its a shame that they had to move sites. I think personally that the Odessey show is far better for layouts, access, a covered indoor stalls area, toilet facilities, disabled access, and the idea of placing disabled scooters etc at the front entrance is far better than Folkstone, who for some mad reason decided to place their disabled buggies nearly 300yds away from the main entrance, its a shame they could,nt get the same venue as Odessey, I would like to hear your comments as I,ve heard rumours that this might be their last year at this venue, where they go from here is anyones guess

Never been but sounds like chaos. I went to the Cosby Air Field, Victory Show, last year and it was great. Some cool items for sale and great displays. Obviously not as big as War and Peace and it is a nightmare to get in unless you leave home and get there early but parking is close and it is well planned out. I'm going to the Newark Militaria fair in April and was wondering if anyone else has been and if it's good.

Cheers,

Harvey

Thats the main problem with WAP the planning aspect is all over the place, there are modelling rooms under the grandstand but very confined, get thirty odd people in there and its crowded and hot as an oven, if its raining then multiply that by two. Never been up your way, mainly the two i.ve mentioned plus Bedford, Chatham, Farnham, and a couple of local ones

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Yes Dave,I think i preferred the old site at Paddock Wood. Folkstone is an extra half hour on my journey for me. Already 5 hours trip from oop-north.

I had got used to where all the dealers were set out then they bloody moved it!! Im usually to be found working on Ben Juniers stall,its not a bad spot to be honest as i usually park up on the field opposite for the week.

The bogs and showers are an improvement on Paddock Wood to be fair,but ive now no time to go see the displays and exhibitions on the far end of the field anymore.

• Major General

As for the Odyssey show,its a bridge too far after the mammoth round trip for W+P.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about the WAP show....haven't been for a few years but down in Kent this summer and Intend taking it in with my two sons. Was at the the old location twice and thoroughly enjoyed it ........as long as the stalls are still there I should be okay!!!!

Edited by Libertesoe
  • Upvote 2

• Major General

Dont get me wrong bud,its well worth a trip.. Just us old fuddy-duddy's prefer the old site.

I worked on the shows press team for three years as a photographer. With the new change of ownership, I have been pretty much thrown to one side in favour of "new" teams. There is a lot of controversial changes within the 2016 show such as allowing agriculture vehicles and classic cars that are not related to the military in any form, or are even home front related for that matter. They have also kicked up the public camping prices by nearly 100%. In 2015 it cost me under £200 including an electrical hook up for the week for two people, now it will cost us well over £400! The day ticket prices have gone up a bit for no real reason, the arena displays are apparently going to be less frequent and the list goes on. I for one miss the Hop Farm also. 

They are very much turning the show into a punters event. :/

Wow, I had heard all sorts of rumours but this is a bit too much, I had heard that because of the increased prices a lot of stall holders, especially from Europe were refusing to attend, how true that is I dont know but it would stand to reason

Personally preferred Paddock Wood, easier to get around, seemed to be more stalls.

Last years War & Peace was a nightmare getting there due to Operation stack on the M20. The parking was not ideal either, perhaps its just teething problems, hopfully this year will be better 

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Oh yes,i had forgot about the 'Stack' nightmare... Last years show was the quietest i had seen to be honest compared to previous Folkstone shows and Paddock Wood

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Paddock Wood was a great site. I was part of the Panzer Fusilier Grossdeutschland display there for several years and as my birthday is 20th of July I had my celebration there every year. 

1460976_10202779453509270_687706372_n.jpg

1459346_10202743903780549_190696140_n.jpg

1453346_10202741713885803_2079664762_n.jpg

1453346_10202741713845802_1466778012_n.jpg

1230035_10202741721605996_1395349974_n.jpg

1476162_10202743920380964_1119741320_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Despite the move It's still a fantastic show with hundreds of stalls and an excellent arena display.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

I shall be in attendance working on Ben Junier's stall as usual.

• Upvote 1

I shall be there on the Thursday I think, so if I can find you ,expect a visit:)

• Upvote 2

Sadly I won't be able to meet up with you fellas, bloody work experience that week!

• Major General
51 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I shall be there on the Thursday I think, so if I can find you ,expect a visit:)

Nice one Dave. You cant miss us,its the biggest inert ord stand onsite. Plus im usually atop the 'conning tower' chair keeping my eye out.

• Major General

Hi Martin,you know im not right sure!  I will find out from the boss and get back to you.

And is Bruce coming back to buy more stuff from you ? I was there with him when he was buying the bangalores and playing with grenades a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Wont be this year. That was when myself and the Dutch squad were smothered in colds. I kept telling everyone to stay back as we all have Dutch Elm disease.xD

I was sat next to the boss when they were filming. My trademark cap on.

On 20/06/2016 at 18:44, Waffenamt said:

Nice one Dave. You cant miss us,its the biggest inert ord stand onsite. Plus im usually atop the 'conning tower' chair keeping my eye out.

Look for the lanky, gobby git wrapped in tape!

• Upvote 1

• Major General

xD Yep,the last time i wound up the above poster and Ben,i ended up taped to a chair but managed to escape the stall with said chair still strapped...

Nobody came to my assistance although two large apes were in hot pursuit...O.o

Theres nothing worse than being strapped to a chair, unless the straps are velvet or silk, you,ve been smeared with chocolate sauce, a semi transparent blindfold, Bolero gently playing in the background, a bowl of ice,  Chocolate covered strawberries, and ..........Excuse me I,m going offline for a couple of hours!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

We will be attending W&P - visiting from the states now and will finish our trip there. 

• Upvote 2