War and Peace show

Davejb

Do you really want too know??, I went today, the first thing that happened was that the usual car park has been made unobtainable as the Farmer now wants 11K just for parking fee, so without warning anybody the route into the site was changed, it was at least 1/2 mile from the Grandstand, on the far side. Seeing I,m disabled I showed my card to the girl on the car park, she pointed to a spot that was at least 250 yrds away from the entrance, then allowed all the other normal customers to park very close to the entrance, I was buggered before I even started. Because of the distance from the entrance to the main stalls, a "BUS" was laid on, consisting of a tractor and a trailer, the trailer was covered in dust and muck and on the seating benches inside the trailer, so by the time you got off, your arses were filthy and there was a layer of fine dust over you and your clothing.The stalls were as expected but seemed to lack a number of vendors, there was a reasonable crowd there and a great deal of European visitors. The displays were now being conducted much further away from the stands, some 2-300 yrds, so there was no chance of sitting down to see anything. Vendors stalls have been moved around so just as you got used to where things were you had to search the whole site for anything particular. In some ways it was a good day in others not so good, but I did get to meet Waffenampt and enjoyed his company, also Fuse Collector was there on the same stall. There was a rumour going round that this year might be the last at this particular site. How true that is is anyones guess, but if the owner keeps mucking about with the fees and ticket prices, I can see many people refusing to attend. And yet again there were no signs of the Disability scooters, no indications to where they were or even if they were there. They should be placed at the entrance to the site, not hidden away where you have to walk hundreds of yards to find them, this happens every year, and thats IF you can find them. All these things should have been corrected by now, but it looks as if there are still teething problems, and using young girls as traffic control on the main roads is just plain dangerous, they are not trained to do this,. and if they cause an accident , who would be liable?????

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

What a shame it used to be a cracking show 20 plus years ago at the Hop farm :|.

That is a shame @Davejb I did notice less stalls but over all I liked it. I thought it was stupid that that put the disabled parking along the length of the fence and not around the entrance.

What made it worse for me was that at the end, when we were leaving, I went over to another parking attendant , another young girl, and asked her why this was, she told me that this was the instructions given out and that only disabled vehicles were to be parked along the fence, she was also wondering why. To me this smacks of discrimination. We never had a problem before about parking, we were allowed to park right at the front by the entrance, why this turn about I dont know, but I will be sending an E-mail to the organisers

• Major General

I think it was a total clusterfuck this year. You know ive been thinking about the farmers story about wanting 11 grand for the field opposite. I reckon its the tight-arsed show owners thats started it and they prolly never approached the guy just to save money. I thought most of the monkeys on the gates this year were arrogant twonks. The showers and bogs were as usual.Showers breaking down daily...where did the stallholders extra tenner fee go??

I for one hope the show moves venue. Cant stand another year camping out there,if it is the last year (2017) then i will stay in a hotel and commute to work there.

On 21/07/2016 at 10:24, Martinf said:

Hi @Waffenamt how is W&P this year?

Was offline for a few days. Did you come to our stall buddy?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes @Waffenamt on the Friday but didn't see you. Sorry for the late reply iv been offline as well. I hope it goes back to the hop farm.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just back from stalling out at the military odyssey best one in years this year will be back next year

• Upvote 1

I really hope the show moves back to the Hop Farm at Beltring, as it has become the Wind & Poop show at Folkstone :D

D

• Upvote 1

To show just how seriously poor the year has been for this show. We took more money trading at Combined Ops...

Hoping 2017 brings a change. 

• Upvote 1

To be honest I actually prefer Odyssey to WAP, theres a mixed bag of period displays, , its easier to get to, parking is miles better, and presents itself as a more professional venue, the stalls are well laid out, there are three arenas that you can visit , an indoor market, better toilets, plus the re-enactment groups inter react with the crowds, oh and as a footnote, I got the highest score ever on the Spitfire simulator,,,, I call that a good day, I,m changing my name to Biggles

• Upvote 1

To be honest I actually prefer Odyssey to WAP, theres a mixed bag of period displays, , its easier to get to, parking is miles better, and presents itself as a more professional venue, the stalls are well laid out, there are three arenas that you can visit , an indoor market, better toilets, plus the re-enactment groups inter react with the crowds, oh and as a footnote, I got the highest score ever on the Spitfire simulator,,,, I call that a good day, I,m changing my name to Biggles

• 5 months later...

Yes thats what I heard as well, if true then I think they have saved themselves from closing down, It all depends on what the display and on site camping charges are to be, they were extortionate at Folkstone which actually stopped the overseas visitors last year from coming, also parking will be 100 times better, I did,nt like waiting for a tractor that was covered in dust and being choked by diesel fumes and dust kicked up by the heavy vehicles on the same route. just to get over to the stalls, besides I.ve always thought the whole site was a complete cock up

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Lads,

Its deffo game on for The Hop Farm. I was with ben last week at the Stoneleigh show when he booked the pitch for the W&P.

We have our old spot back which was on the corner of row H,Arena side. Cant wait. 25 mins off my journey at least.

waffy

• Upvote 1

Yeah I will be there, bothering you again, its a much more relaxed feeling there and better laid out

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Hi @Waffenamt and @Davejb,

I am very happy that the war and Peace show is going back to the Hop farm, as I did not like the Folkstone venue at all  :)

I am tempted to go to this years show now!

D

Edited by DAK D

• Major General

Hiya DAK,

Yes,i shall be the right hand of God as usual on Bens stall again. Deaks will also be attendance asleep lol.

waff

• 1 month later...
  • Major General

Deffo game on fellas for the big show.

Until then,its busy as fook at work so i may not be around here as usual.

waffy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Major General
On 23/06/2016 at 12:40, Martinf said:

What stall number will you be on @Waffenamt? As I'm going on the Friday and the Saturday.

Stall H1,2,3  Stalls H20-23  All in one on the corner.

• Upvote 1