ME 110, D5+B?

Richard Auld

• 3 weeks later...

A few more bits lying around, one with a clear indication of bullet hit as indicated by the screw. The piece on the right is brass so I would think something to do with the motors?

Rich

CIMG1096.JPG

CIMG1095.JPG

CIMG1097.JPG

CIMG1098.JPG

Great Images Rich,

and a bit of investigation to find the crew etc, I hope you can and please show us on MCN.

Best to you Desert Rat/ Ian

Ian, 

I will leave it as is and update both forums as it would be a balls ache to transfere all those posts, I haven't got any further with the crew, I was going to look at it from another perspective IE the UK losses or damages that night to try and establish what happened. The problem is always time!!!!

Rich

Val, 

That is the second of those type of conector in the middle, the other is clearly marked, the one on the left is also marked. the best piece is the pipe far left as that is with the original couloured paint.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Few more bits! I can't believe the condition of some of the bits just lying there under leaf fall? The oxidised parts I am informed by a friend that knows about this stuff says it is signs of fire damage.

CIMG1225.JPG

CIMG1226.JPG

CIMG1227.JPG

CIMG1228.JPG

CIMG1229.JPG

CIMG1230.JPG

CIMG1234.JPG

CIMG1235.JPG

CIMG1236.JPG

CIMG1237.JPG

CIMG1238.JPG

Around the area where the cockpit glass is we found this, what I think is a lens from a set of goggles. Looks to be a lminate with glass both sides.

Rich

CIMG1232.JPG

CIMG1233.JPG

Edited by Richard Auld

• 4 months later...

Guys,

Pissing down today but took a wonder through the site with the EOD lad that was duty officer, he had a nose around and we found more stuff. 

Lots of small bits but a decent bit of aluminum and what looks like a MG bolt system, I have had a search and can't find one similar, any ideas?

Rich

CIMG1801.JPG

CIMG1802.JPG

CIMG1803.JPG

CIMG1804.JPG

CIMG1805.JPG

CIMG1806.JPG

CIMG1812.JPG

CIMG1809.JPG

Edited by Richard Auld

Very nice Rich, Its amazing what can still be found, and that certainly looks like the rear part of an MG

He found a bit of ammo too and has set it aside for safe disposal, very badly corroded. Some 2cm and 7.92 and another Brit .303.

Rich

I am still thinking collision with a Lancaster, the other posts on HWMF have the finds of the 303 rounds in metal link, they were only used with metal belt on the 303s mounted on aircraft. I have been going through it in my mind as to why an otherwise clean site would have both British and German munitions and I think if the German attacked a Lanc from behind and then broke off and simultaniously the Lance started evasive manouvers at the same time it is not inconsivable with the closing speed of the attacker that if the Lanc went coincedentaly in the same direction as the 110 that it would have been to late to avoid a collision. The rear turret of the Lanc had 2500 round per gun with more stored nearby so in excess of 10k .303 in metal link. There are endless senarios I suppose but if I ever get time in the future I will focus on the British losses and heavily damaged aircraft to see if any of them could fit the bill? Time is the issue!!!

Rich

I see your thinking on this, but as I understand it, if a lanc was attacked from the rear, it would dive and corkscrew, either to the left or right, The German pilots new this , especially if it was nighttime, and they were careful and most times they would clime and await until the lancs had resumed a straight course, then attack again, even more so in daylight, those rear turrets on the lancs were deadly, four brownings would make a real mess of a 110, Also if a collision had occured, there should at least be parts of the lanc among the 110s wreckage , other than 303s, But as you say there are endless senarios

• Like 1

I will look again at the parts and see if anything could be Lanc, I can't see any logical explanation for the 303 being there? I think I will check the allied grave yard at Becklingen which is only a couple of Km from the crash site, to see if any downed allied crews match the dates, The nice thing there if you can call it nice is that they have kept air crew from the same planes all together and the stones are a bit closer to indicate they were a crew. A nice touch I thought!

Rich

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update the last part found is not the bolt from an MG but rather the hard extraction tool, which took the form of the bolt, in this case for an MG81 or MG81Z. That is to say at X thousand feet when you had a stoppage and were being engaged from the rear. You were expected, whilst the pilot no doubt taking evasive manouvers, to field strip your weapon system and carry out the drill to remove a stuck case, really.....? I don't think I would want that job!!!

Hi Guys, As a wee aside to the tale of the relics...my uncle shot down an ME 110 while it was taking off on 6/7th March 1944, it was taking off from Gardelegan Airfield in Germany....I sometimes wonder about going to the woodland it crashed into, to see if their is still any wreckage lying around.

combat reports ww2001.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello Norrie, 

That's great idea at least take a detector and maybe you will have more luck in finding it, or at least some interesting items and parts....Good Luck

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Norrie,

I bet you could research that further on the 12 o clock high forum. Make sure your spelling is up to speed though as I think there are a lot of book writers on there!

Rich

@Desert Rat - how is your post related to topic "ME 110"?

If you want to write about V1's, create separate topic, it's easy

and then other's can find the information here better!

Val , thanks for the link, I will give it a proper read at work tomorrow.