Luftwaffe buckle... J.C. Maedicke made??

TomChance

I recently acquired this Luftwaffe buckle. I have thoroughly looked it over and have found no maker’s markings or date. The interior  side shows the dark, field-blue paint. The exterior side shows a silver-colored finish with some wear & oxidation. This may just be paint but it looks & feels much more like some type of metallic (Nickel?) finish. Because of the style of the eagle, some details of the oak wreath and how the catch is mounted, I believe this may have been made by J.C. Maedicke. I have seen a few steel Heer & Luftwaffe buckles that were given this silver-colored finish. Was this done by the manufacturer or, possibly, the individual soldier, so that these buckles would mimick the finish of the earlier aluminum buckles? Or were these for “dress uniform” wear? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Guys! Tom

4B11E5F7-2E70-44CF-A018-DBFB199AE8D6.jpeg

D45B7706-E59B-4CA0-97B0-A8EA2891024E.jpeg

I understand Lenny is the man on buckles, it is kind of hard to make out the front finish, has the paint not just been removed and the buckle polished up a bit?

Rich

7 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

I understand Lenny is the man on buckles, it is kind of hard to make out the front finish, has the paint not just been removed and the buckle polished up a bit?

Rich

Oh, my gosh!!! I’m an idiot!!! LOL!! You’re absolutely right, Rich! Now that I look closely, I can see that someone has removed the original field-blue paint and buffed the bear steel face. That’s why I’ve come to this sight; To learn!

8F2F43F6-FAC7-4226-A6CA-CF46B98E4290.jpeg