Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Cap Badge

Anyone help me in dating this Glengarry badge I just bought,..?? I've not been able to find any proper info on the number of voids anywhere at all.

Sorry about the pics, they are all I had from the seller.., I think their are nine voids...:)

Thanks in advance guys...:)

ash badge.jpg

ash badge2.jpg

ash badge 3.jpg

ash badge 4.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Norrie,

Lovely badge, I do not know, but type into Google, that should help you.

Take Care....Desert Rat/ Ian.....Scotland The Brave...!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Lovely badge, I do not know, but type into Google, that should help you.

Take Care....Desert Rat/ Ian.....Scotland The Brave...!!!

Tried that Ian...as far as I'm aware, they can be dated by the number of voids....but for the life of me, I cant find the info I need...

I'll keep trying mate.

ATVB.

Norrie

• Like 1

Thanks Norrie,

I will try and find our for you and let you know, but there are no makers markings on the back of it, which ,makes it more difficult?

Best Wishes....IanB/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Thanks Norrie,

I will try and find our for you and let you know, but there are no makers markings on the back of it, which ,makes it more difficult?

Best Wishes....IanB/ Desert Rat

I Have a few Ian, and all different "voids" on them...none of them have marks or date stamps on them....I bought it as a WW2 badge, and have a quite well worn WW2  Glengarry  I want to fit it to, but not if its not authentic, its going to be a gift for an ex Argyll.......:)

• Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

Strange they have no makers markings on them, maybe they didn't stamp badges like they did in France and Germany...Don't know really, but I hope you can find out more info on them and please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes Mate....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

They still puzzle me with no markings, but if I find any info on them I will let you know.

Best to you....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 21:37, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

They still puzzle me with no markings, but if I find any info on them I will let you know.

Best to you....Ian/ Desert Rat

Thanks Ian, one of the drivers at work is an Ex Argyll, he's going to an Argyll Museum meet at their HQ in Stirling Castle, this week, and is going to ask them there...:)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Norrie,

I can't seem to find anything but if your mate is going to the Museum.....I hope he can help you.

Best wishes mate....Ian

PS.....Please let me know how he get's on and any info found?

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

I will do .....and for the life of me, I cannot think where I got the "void" info.....BUT, there are def lots of different "void" types...maybe re strikes or whatever...will let you know if I/we find out anything...:)

Btw, the Museum, which was a corker has had a full refurb, and I am seriously looking forward to seeing it in its new guise...:)

https://www.argylls.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/05/2019 at 12:30, Norrie said:

Tried that Ian...as far as I'm aware, they can be dated by the number of voids....but for the life of me, I cant find the info I need...

I'll keep trying mate.

ATVB.

Norrie

@Norrie Theres a book out on cap badges, for the life of me cant think of the name, I gotta get a copy as I have little knowledge On cap badges! And I know what I just stated helps you "Not" lol sorry mate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Major General

This thread should really be in the British and Commonwealth Badges section!

• 1 year later...

My question is why do the collar dogs and Argyll and Sutherland differ with the Sutherland Cat? sitting on it tail looking straight forward and others with the cat facing you with tail erect? Is it because 1st and second Battalions  are regulars and others are territorials? please advise. I will to fascinated to know may details please?