Boer War Carboot Buy.

Norrie

Bought this fantastic Boer War era silk tapestry at the boot sale on Sunday..., done on a silk cloth backing, with silk thread...done a littel research, and find some absolutely fascinating reading on the Border Regt.....

It's about 15Inches square, not incl the frame... with the original wood backed frame and glass....tho, I think the gold paint is an early addition...it has a stamp of some type on the back, no idea what it is tho...

This is def Pre WW1....and I love it...I'm about ready to start researching the Boer War, as my paternal great grandfather from London fought in it...just got a few things to collate before I delve in...:)

Cost me a ten pound note.....cheap as chips, and will be on the attic museum wall till I go...:)

20190521_191142.jpg

20190521_191148.jpg

20190521_191157.jpg

20190521_191209.jpg

20190521_191212.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

What a fantastic example of this type of weaving etc, beautiful made, lovely rare  item.....You Luck Man to find this and I congratulate you on such a wonderful find..!!!

Very Best Wishes...Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

What a fantastic example of this type of weaving etc, beautiful made, lovely rare  item.....You Luck Man to find this and I congratulate you on such a wonderful find..!!!

Very Best Wishes...Ian/ Desert Rat

Thanks Ian....I have a few Boer War items, and books ,but this ( to me) is lovely...:)

• Thanks 1

I love all hand crafted items like this and trench art etc, think of the time it would have taken!

Most of these things are under valued for what they are.

Rich

• Like 2

Well Done Norrie,

You have the top slot at last....good on you!!!!

Best wishes.....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

I meant to say....Have a good relaxing Bank holiday weekend, get out to those boot fairs and find some more....Fantastic items!

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 17:39, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

I meant to say....Have a good relaxing Bank holiday weekend, get out to those boot fairs and find some more....Fantastic items!

Thanks Ian, ended up working Saturday, to be driven to Middlesborough to pick up a new tanker and drive it to our yard in central Scotland....early, EARLY start too...3.30am!!!! arghhhhhhhh...BUT, did make the boot sales today, nothing special tho, just a few period books...:)

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2019 at 10:34, Richard Auld said:

I love all hand crafted items like this and trench art etc, think of the time it would have taken!

Most of these things are under valued for what they are.

Rich

Same as me Rich..I love trench art.......I have an original pencil drawing done by a member of the H.L.I going over the Rhine into Germany in 1945 ( I think it is) ..its ( to me) stunning, and will soon be framed up properly. I'll have a look see if I have a pic of it...:)

• Thanks 1

WOW.....Norrie what a long shift,

I hope you found some good items and that ...you are not too tired?

Well Done for what you have found and hope you find some more fantastic items in your search.....Please show us on MCN.

Very Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

Just now, Desert Rat said:

WOW.....Norrie what a long shift,

I hope you found some good items and that ...you are not too tired?

Well Done for what you have found and hope you find some more fantastic items in your search.....Please show us on MCN.

Very Best Wishes....Ian/ Desert Rat

Wellllllll...I did find a South African WW2 Mk11 helmet , minus liner...:( Its been a sand colour then overpainted green for use in Italy...I rather like that one...:) Its got a rivet missing tho...any idea where I could get a replacement?? :)

20190523_154027.jpg

• Thanks 1

Very nice helmet Norrie,

Well Done...I wish I could find such items down here in the Sassenach country!!!!!

Best to you....Ian

• Like 1

Just now, Desert Rat said:

Very nice helmet Norrie,

Well Done...I wish I could find such items down here in the Sassenach country!!!!!

Best to you....Ian

LOL...My bro in Nottingham is a car boot freak too, he buys as much stuff for me, as I do...LOL...:)

• Like 1

Norrie, Lets see the drawing, I do enjoy any talented artist, particularly if a military theme!

Rich

Norrie, Lets see the drawing, I do enjoy any talented artist, particularly if a military theme!

Rich

• Like 2

That's Great Norrie, you have a "finder" for you your Bruv.....Lucky Man!

Let's hope he can find the ultimate item for you!

Best Wishes....Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2019 at 21:23, Richard Auld said:

Rich

Rich

Rich, again mate, apologies...the drawing is at a display I'm seting up...when it gets home start of the week, I will def put a pic up...:)

BTW, Its not a talented artist that drew it, def looks like an amateur...but, you can decide when you see it...came with a load of Scots Guards paperwork stuff I bought at the boot sale...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Hope you are all well, look forward to your seeing this photo/ drawing.

Best wishes..IanB

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Hope you are all well, look forward to your seeing this photo/ drawing.

Best wishes..IanB

Hi ian., all great here, rather overworked, and as per usual, taking on more than i can handle...but...getting there mate...Thanks for caring...:)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Norrie,

Just scrolling through and see that you are looking for a helmet rivet? Possibly find some on EBy, but maybe you can find one on here....put an ad in the  - Wanted.

Best to you...Ian