Thank God my Uncle Jackie wasn't late....But, here it is...:)

Norrie

My Uncle Jackie Reid, was a Mosquito Pilot with 605 Sqdn , based at Manston...here's a scan from his logbook for D Day...or, the 2nd front as they knew it then...plus a letter home to his mother, my gran.... written a couple of days later...he is, and always will be the HERO of our family...:)

You can see from his letter that he was thinking of others after doing what he did ALL through the war, from signing up as a member of the RAFVR, at 19... at 20 he was a Sgt 1st pilot on a Whitley Mk5, which he had to crash land in Yorkshire  after bombing Hanover in 1941....

I'll never tire of talking about him and guys of his ilk....:)

jackie1.jpg

jackie2.jpg

jackie5.jpg

jackie4.jpg

jackie3.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

Geezus, why wont this let me list these pics in the correct order??? :(

• Thanks 1

Super Images Norrie,

And the loving letter he sent.....He looks a great looking young man, it must be a wonderful feeling for you to have a HERO in your family......We do Remember Them...!!!

Very Best Wishes Mate..Ian

Here is an image of my Dad in the 8th Army In Tripoli, Libya, Egypt, then over to Sicily across to Salerno, up through Italy, then all recalled for D - Day, My Dad landed on Sword Beach on the afternoon of 6th June 1944, fought up through France, Belgium, Holland and into Germany with Monty's 21st Army group, brought some souvenirs back.....My Hero ...My Dad...Miss You Dad...X....!!!

DAD  02.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ian...I have no words mate on what these brave brave men did, for you, me , and everyone.... ....they were just ordinary men...(I have a collection of WW2 Paybooks, and looking at the guys civi jobs in the paybooks, , they were ordinary guys)...but guys who stood up for what they believed in...guys like your dad, my uncle, and my grandad..( RA), my other uncle in the Paras, they, like tens of thousands of other guys, did what they were asked to do, no hesitation. just got the job done....I cannot say how grateful I am for that....god rest every one of them....

• Thanks 1

Thank you Norrie, great words well spoken...Yes "We will Remember Them"...!!!

On 08/06/2019 at 22:11, Norrie said:

Geezus, why wont this let me list these pics in the correct order??? :(

Looks like it posts in reverse order, not the end of the world, even I can work it out....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Cracking bit of family history!

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich...yep....it is...their is a Mossie FBV1 at the Mosquito Museum, painted up and marked as his aircraft....UP/G..... I went down to get a sit in it, but guess what, the bloody tail of the plane fell off !!!!  it was held down by ropes and a big blacksmiths anvil...so, now got an open invite to revisit...:)

• Like 1