Kriegsmarine parade buckle?

Infanteer90

Picked this buckle along with a late war tongue less belt. It wasn't until I got home and took some photos did it become apparent that it was originally a gilt color. Any thoughts?

26612B8B-14AD-4CE5-9B92-29475BCF94E1.jpeg

44561943-BA10-48AA-957F-01D8F9174631.jpeg

7BAB3353-34CB-47FC-8056-0341F0380535.jpeg

7B591A8F-0170-4BF8-887B-C82FEE565B26.jpeg

6E604355-DCD2-4A2D-BA07-A9A582BDD029.jpeg

Very faded? Sometimes the gold wash does not last depending on how the item is stored or at least that is my experiance of it with in particular zinc badges.

Rich

• Field Marshall

Ah, well, this is always contentious... It's KM for me, I have similar that came from a vet...

Lenny,,, you are going to the vets too often, can,t you go to the doctors like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!??????

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2019 at 04:49, Lenny said:

Ah, well, this is always contentious... It's KM for me, I have similar that came from a vet...

Why the contention? This clearly had gilt at one time.... what other organization would have used it?

No contension, it is KM, I wonder why the giulding has faded so quickly on an aluminium buckle?

I suppose being private purchase and not contract work it was made as cost effective as possible in order to maximise their profit, perhaps saving a few pfennigs on the finish?

I doubt they would take any such shortcuts if they had a military contract, why risk it and loose the contract? Who knows?

Nice enough buckle! I only have one KM buckle the standard gold thing!

Rich

Cool looking buckle! I don't have a parade two piece KM buckle in my collection. It certainly is an interesting piece. I would lean towards it being KM given the gold gilding. If only we could get this buckle to talk!

Cheers!

Rob