Flack black DD M35 ???

KingTiggy80

Just got it today it's a M35 SE64 lot#3775. When I looked it up in the database from German helmet vault. It has lot# 3779 and says it is a DD ffh. Wondering what the ffh stands for? This is the first forum I've done and fairly new to collecting. Thanks for any information.

Thanks just looked  up feldherrnhalle and thought maybe it had something to do with 88 crews and it doesn't . Thanks for letting me know what ffh stands for.

• Upvote 1

Still trying to navigate site as soon as I figure it out I would love to post some pics.

Eric

2 hours ago, KingTiggy80 said:

Still trying to navigate site as soon as I figure it out I would love to post some pics.

Eric

It's absolutely easy to post images here. And no limit, so start taking pictures!

Haven't had a chance to do much research on it yet. Why in the world would they use glossy paint? Or is there something wrong with this.

To me this does,nt make much sense, Its a half baked job of painting, and the idea of painting helmets, especially if this was used in a flack batterie, was to deminish the shine of a helmet, not to give off a prominant glare, plus the strange square angles where the decals have been painted over. I would think this has been done post war, and possibly by a kid, and if that is the case its been ruined, It would take a lot of work to attempt to restore the original colour to that of the interior with no guarantee of a good outcome which is a great shame as the interior and the liner are in good condition

• Upvote 1

I'd take that ugly paint off and look what's underneath it...

But it's a big job.

Scraped with my finger nail a little bit. Comes off easy. Seems to be a flat gray underneath. Do I leave it alone or keep going? Never seen that flat gray on a helmet before. Primer?? Or would that be original paint?? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to use besides finger nail? Trying to stay away from the chemicals and harsh abrasives.

Thanks, KIMG0623.thumb.JPG.11b418b1c81eaacaced54ba0a3714385.JPGEric 

KIMG0623.JPG

No turning back now.

See first is this paint in any way water soluble.

Take paper tissue, soak it in water and let it stay on

top of paint for some time.

Looks like a post war fire brigade paint job. They painted over the helmets in black (red in South Germany) and used them for quite some time after the war. The original colour is that inside the dome. Not sure what the grey is all about , perhaps an undercoat to the black? 

Rich

Going to start the process this weekend. Worst case scenario anyone have a original camo cover for sale?? Just in case. LOL. But seriously if this doesn't work I think that would be my next step. What is the average honest price for one? I see that eBay has them pop up on there but I avoid fakebay as much as possible. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks Val for the tip I just put the wet tissue paper on there. If that doesn't work I think all use boiling water on it and see what happens. It's thin enough to scrape with my nail so I think hot water should work. Before I continue I'm sure you guys have seen alot more helmets than I have. Is there any chance this paint was applied during the war? Just don't want to mess up something that shouldn't be messed with.

Thanks gentleman for your time and knowledge.

Eric

15 hours ago, KingTiggy80 said:

Going to start the process this weekend. Worst case scenario anyone have a original camo cover for sale?? Just in case. LOL. But seriously if this doesn't work I think that would be my next step. What is the average honest price for one? I see that eBay has them pop up on there but I avoid fakebay as much as possible. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks Val for the tip I just put the wet tissue paper on there. If that doesn't work I think all use boiling water on it and see what happens. It's thin enough to scrape with my nail so I think hot water should work. Before I continue I'm sure you guys have seen alot more helmets than I have. Is there any chance this paint was applied during the war? Just don't want to mess up something that shouldn't be messed with.

Thanks gentleman for your time and knowledge.

Eric

Try some Goof off

Seeing as there are decal remnants on the helmet, its possible that you "could" be onto the original paint under the black, but somehow I doubt it, either way you need something that will not scratch the grey, it might be a primer and there might not be any other colour under it, which means you may have to bite the bullet and do a repaint job which will devalue the helmet overall, plus you have to be pretty good with a newer paint and ageing , as I said before if the black is the only paint with a primer underneath, its a shame as its pretty much ruined and is only good as a decorative piece .Also do not use hot water, and do not submerge in water, it can change the colour of the liner, also you would need to block off the air vents, and the helmet pins and that needs to be done very carefully

Wasn't going to submerge in any way. I have some gloves that are heat resistance and was going to use a wash cloth and hot water. Trying not to be to intrusive. If that doesn't work I may resort to a soft brush to help the hot water. Just got another m35 in the mail today. I'll take some pics and post them. Let me know what you gentleman think.

I think it turned out ok. The tri  color was painted over with the original paint like it should be. The texture that is on the inside is the same as the outside same with gray color. Hot water didn't work used goof off and worked great. Thanks for the tip Tony. Let me know what you gentleman think. 

KIMG0658.JPG

KIMG0656.JPG

KIMG0655.JPG

KIMG0654.JPG

KIMG0653.JPG

KIMG0652.JPG

KIMG0651.JPG