Bundeswehr GM 54s

Richard Auld

Guys,

Some more detail.

Not doing very well with mobile camera so back to desktop.

Please note the effect of long contact with light surface rust on the cloth or webbing straps.

Rich

CIMG1637.JPG

CIMG1638.JPG

CIMG1639.JPG

CIMG1640.JPG

CIMG1641.JPG

CIMG1643.JPG

CIMG1644.JPG

CIMG1645.JPG

CIMG1648.JPG

CIMG1649.JPG

CIMG1650.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I dont think that I have ever had a Gas mask and case, yet at one time you could get these for a fiver and they were very common, every militaria shop had them, even the small places down side streets

• Like 1

I was talking to a pal that works in Fallingbostel. He was a 'squaddie brat' way back and he tells me that at a specific time back then the Bundswehr dumped tonnes of these at the local tip. Then each town had an open tip that was bulldozed when full, more added etc. He said he remembers when near every kid in Fally had a GM54 as they were robbed from the tip, swapped etc. Back then you could take what you want for peanuts and things like that would be 'given' to kids, no PS or X box back in the day and it was only junk! I expect your memory is probably linked to this time period as they were no doubt decomissioned  en masse!? Just as quick they disappeared too? Unfashionable? My years were the 80's, I remember the wadds of Battle dress wartime and 49 pattern. Every self respecting rebelious 'punk' had one or more?

Rich

Very true, When I was a kid every type of wartime bits and pieces were everywhere, we used to play war with german helmets that parents had brought back from the war, I had a real FJ helmet that my uncle had given me, a few German helmets, that dad had got hold of, but the real gem was a SS helmet with full decals and cammo. I only wish I still had them and that was what started me collecting, you could pick almost everything off of tips that people had thrown away, and a wartime dump gave me a very nice Japanese helmet with the Naval insignia and all of this was free, now it costs a bloody fortune

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1