WH M35 Rautarn Helmet

Manu Della Valle

I seldom if ever buy helmets,but I quite liked this one when I saw it offered.A “rautarn” M35 in great nick and 58-size.Decals can be “guessed” under the thick layer of paint mixed with dirt.

3B02F0D9-684A-42FB-8A1A-ED1A0A975F4D.jpeg

9EF223C4-7024-4469-BA5D-85EF6483F0A4.jpeg

E3D1767F-0BEC-4646-B567-0E0B8CA3F7E1.jpeg

74A01403-841B-47BD-85B6-5EA57D9FEBD5.jpeg

E73612D7-8101-4AC0-A3C1-A57E668DFAFE.jpeg

E6320022-B387-49BC-AB58-479D0010BC3C.jpeg

814AA085-938E-468D-9A61-9757CEAE6360.jpeg

C641250E-7796-41B0-8B29-BCB286BA6192.jpeg

87CA753A-320A-4657-846B-DFA42286AD6D.jpeg

9206A1AC-43AE-4780-AEF9-069B96E9FABF.jpeg

EFDCB03B-6BDE-41C4-8EB5-5830217860A5.jpeg

CD1CEC0A-99DD-4F61-B5F7-16705EDDB340.jpeg

3AD0D64A-1965-43A4-81EC-3989FF4FC9B9.jpeg

E0084DAA-57BA-45D7-89B1-00DE2AF34048.jpeg

CF6CFCA6-917C-46F3-8119-1AC84B9D055D.jpeg

E548B1FD-8520-49DA-AB2A-F968882EEFAF.jpeg

F573BDB3-187E-48A9-B220-37C3F919D4DA.jpeg

F2B338A4-537C-4CD5-98EC-3A705F622402.jpeg

4189FB9C-AC4F-4E48-A1D9-A0887E56A90B.jpeg

9172EE70-C20E-416C-995C-5898CD3F2FE5.jpeg

A21ABEDF-3731-4438-95D6-C3D95BC2BE0A.jpeg

B6A4E985-5409-42C0-85C0-446C5A897B74.jpeg

CDD9AD06-B994-480F-8915-5654E22FB58A.jpeg

976209FD-C7FE-49EE-AFA4-57800D11E8E9.jpeg

92DB3E3C-2FAF-4062-A3BA-75DD66138954.jpeg

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2019 at 22:47, kap said:

Thats a beautiful helmet!

/K

Thank you Kap

• Like 2

Superb Item Manu & Brilliant Images,

Thanks for showing us......Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

Superb Item Manu & Brilliant Images,

Thanks for showing us......Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

Glad you’ve liked that,Ian!

Take care,matey....Manu 

• Thanks 1

Not only a nice helmet, but very nice photos! Especially i like those sharp close up images.

• Like 1

Not only does Manu post some fine pieces of militaria , he shows them in fine detail, which really helps others to learn how a piece should look, and what to look for

• Thanks 2

It is a nice paint job.

Has the liner been out as it looks like the cammo paint is behind the liner?

In contrast what are the thoughts on the splints, they don't look as if they have been messed with?

Is there a clearer shot of the paint inside the dome?

Best

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Had the liner been out of the helmet the latter wouldn’t have bern in my collection in the first place  and no,there’s no paint to speak of behind the liner!

• Thanks 1

What is in the dome paint wise?

You can't really see, is it a rough finish M35 reissue job? That is what it looks like it could be so, an m35 apple green, overpainted and reissued with a decent enough matt rough green finish.

Ok, then a field paint job by a soldier to improve his camoflage, not by much though?

During his repaint, he did not get a single blob of paint on the liner or the band. Combat used? Could have been a remf I suppose with OCD but then why mix dirt with paint to cam up and then paint like an artist, that is not what soldiers do.

It is the context of your helmet I don't like, something that is done as an expediant measure, quickly and effectively to provide a solution in the field? It is not usually done with such deliberation unless it is being done to a known real helmet to punt further to people like you.

My wife paints and I think she could knock me something like that up quite quickly and there are a lot of people producing items for people like you that buy things that are reassuringly expensive. I get the last comment from what you wrote about my cheap trinkets or words to that effect.

Same with your Lodzt Y straps, there are people here catering to expensive tastes.

I think it was Ruptered Duck that was caught out relining helmet shells, it is all on line  somewhere, when even the top lot are at it then buyer beware!

Rich

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

What is in the dome paint wise?

You can't really see, is it a rough finish M35 reissue job? That is what it looks like it could be so, an m35 apple green, overpainted and reissued with a decent enough matt rough green finish.

Ok, then a field paint job by a soldier to improve his camoflage, not by much though?

During his repaint, he did not get a single blob of paint on the liner or the band. Combat used? Could have been a remf I suppose with OCD but then why mix dirt with paint to cam up and then paint like an artist, that is not what soldiers do.

It is the context of your helmet I don't like, something that is done as an expediant measure, quickly and effectively to provide a solution in the field? It is not usually done with such deliberation unless it is being done to a known real helmet to punt further to people like you.

My wife paints and I think she could knock me something like that up quite quickly and there are a lot of people producing items for people like you that buy things that are reassuringly expensive. I get the last comment from what you wrote about my cheap trinkets or words to that effect.

Same with your Lodzt Y straps, there are people here catering to expensive tastes.

I think it was Ruptered Duck that was caught out relining helmet shells, it is all on line  somewhere, when even the top lot are at it then buyer beware!

Rich

Yes,right😂😂😂,keep collecting your low-end Knick-Knack and get your kicks by pointlessly trying to slander other people’s stuff in the process.You’re but a sad sack but that’s your problem,not mine.🤷🏻‍♂️

Let me show you one thing before you get back on my ignoring list...if you want I can send you their chassis number so that you can write to the Factory asking if they deserve to be in a collection of delivery-miles cars....two of which are twins with subsequent serials about to be sold by a well known Auction House.The F8 Tributo has just been ordered so you’ll have to wait next year for the details.That’s real ”wasted money”,the equivalent of several hundreds mint DDM35s.Now let’s see how your everyday hack can compare 

Take care 

A9B08534-B5A8-4340-8C4D-0F61435BB6E8.jpeg

189F40C7-0382-48E0-955B-2C8B3DDC9517.jpeg

3DA34396-0ACF-4AC8-A51B-46D85561EBB8.jpeg

AE0A0628-E4CE-4DA6-8912-2C1A2AB9F4B6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Absolutely BRILLIANT  Manu......Kick him in the ASS....!!! for his ridicoulous comment...!!!FBAH

Ian,

as you have already noticed a few members,including myself,have stopped posting here altogether because it’s a mere waste of time due to some people,whom are to militaria collecting as a candy apple is to a diabetic,posting 24karat billshut thinking they are Jesus in the Temple and yet nobody would say anything about the nonsense they write.Criticizing items like this well known helmet is just ridicolous,and I’m being euphemistic.It would be fun to invite these gentlemen over at some other forum and see them nuked fasterthanthis.I could write a bit more and speak my mind  but knowing myself I think that I must stop here because if on this one hand I’ve learned to chill down, on the other I’ve also learned how to be very unpleasant even with the softer of terms!

Cheers 

Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Thanks 1

Manu,

Nice cars, Italians build their modern vehicles very well these days, more forward gears than the old tanks.

Sorry for your loss but I did nearly die laughing at the prospect of a highly decorated Itailian officer (Allo Allo shot to mind) then I thought about it and there is always a story (ask Ian if you need one) I suppose, so how did he win his Knights Cross? Or did he get allied medals when he switched to the winning side?

It is a well known helmet? Did the Pope wear it when he was a flak helper or something or is it only famous on GHW with the Doug deciples?

I can't recall seeing it anywhere. I am sure its all over the place, where did you get it and what did you drop on it from your small change?

I guess from your money you are not used to taking any sort of negative feedback, flash the cash and have them all fawning over you?

Back to your helmet then if you will that is?

I see someone has tried to dig out the lot number, is it readable if so what was it at the start.

The dome paint looks not to be apple green, it is not clear from the pictures and I can't zoom in any more.

How much paint has come through the vent holes to the inside and has any hit the reverse of the lining?

What is the date on the liner band fitted now, that will give some indication of the leather age perhaps? Perhaps the leather was also changed when it was refurbed?

What is behind the band again if not apple green then a refurb so not the liner it started life with at best?

If it is apple green in the dome and behind the liner then that is the original liner showing minimum wear too?

So from your pictures we have a helmet that has been very carefully camoflaged some time before winter I suppose because who ever did it has also white washed the helmet at some point and then cleaned it off leaving traces of the white wash? A really nice touch so if we are conservative it was used for at least 5 months somewhere cold?

Yet look at that clean lining, no sign of paint or white wash or perhaps signs of water from cleaning the white wash.

In short a pretty sterile looking lining for a supposed active life?

At this point since your helmet is beyond reproach or even discussion I would like to add the following link to a very nice bloke that is extremely talented and frankly what he can do scares the jobby out of me with regards helmets.

Imagine what he could do with an unexciting M35 refurb with a bit of paint and dug out decals for example (have you even noticed the thicker paint over the decal area?). Thank goodness he is a good guy because he could make a fortune. That is not to say others aren't right now. You could even order yours now with the required serial number for next year?

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/64423-painting-stuff/

I know that doesn't interest you though because what us lesser beings do is just nick knacks to you!

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld

14 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Absolutely BRILLIANT  Manu......Kick him in the ASS....!!! for his ridicoulous comment...!!!FBAH

Ah Ian, the one person that won't stop posting, how is you 'popular contributer' drive going?

They should change that to useful and then you would fall by the wayside.

Rich

• Downvote 1

• Major General

Ok folks, time to calm down...remember our tenet of mutual respect to all members.and ‘kick him in the ass’ doesn’t come close to that🤨

• Thanks 1

Really keen to see where the liner has rubbed against the paint on the helmet shell. fair wear and tare?

What is going on at the rear left of the helmet where the layer under the top layer is missing in chunks?

This is not slander it is discussion, if you post gear up and only want a posative response then I don't know what to say.

Rich

Edit,

thats it! I couldn't quite put my finger on it but your photos show no wear where the helmet band would contact the paint, it even appears that the paint is behind the liner, aluminium is a soft metal and the paint is not hard, you would expect to see some wear and tare?

Try wearing it for a week and I bet you the traces would be there and of course you would look daft for a bit!

Edited by Richard Auld

I would also be more interested in hearing what the people that advise Manu think about that last observation.

Rich

• 3 months later...

Still no reply, less activity, so I would bet you are all on his side? Then tell me why what I have written here is wrong? It must be quite easy to do? 

Oh wait a pair of Ferraries, that makes it right?

Really?

Edited by Richard Auld
wrong tone!

Richard, there are no sides as you suggest,and its not a case of growing a pair, which to be honest I find a bit offensive, This forum has always been differant to that of facebook where it is common to create an antagonistic view towards other members, which you seem to pride yourself in doing so, This forum was created to get away from that mentality, You are outspoken in your comments which is ok up to a point, but instead of just making a comment and letting it go, you persist in dwelling on the point and this leads into a full scale argument, I thought that by now you would have taken the higher ground and be content in knowing that what you have said was correct in your mind,and because others make no replys you consider this as a failing, Have you ever thought that others dont want to get drawn into your arguments with another member, mainly because they know it leads into bad feeling within the forum, is this not a consideration of yours, or do you have to have confirmation from others. By all means have a friendly opinion but curb your comments about other members just because they dont back you up. Now, all that said I think you will agree that as a moderator I,m pretty easy going, but as the senior moderator, as in the longest here and the higher ranking, I have tried to help make this forum as a place that members are happy to visit, it does,nt  help if there are some who want to stir the pot, therefor as is my role as moderator, I will from now on start to issue warnings to any who cause trouble within the forum on a regular basis

• Thanks 2

Just trying to gode a bit of participation, won't happen I know. I am trying for discussion not arguement. I take your point and I will behave. i was just a bit ill and arsey, sorry!

Best Rich

• Thanks 1

Can I add as stated above argument is not what I want and I am happy in my mind with what I have observed from the pictures above and stated as you note. A bit of healthy discussion would also be good as this is the whole point of a forum.

I am happy to be wrong all day long if someone has noticed something I haven't, again the whole point of the forum.

Dave I have no problem with your moderation or most all moderators across the eather as they do it for free and they do their best.

I am passionate about the hobby I have no problem with some one saying what I have written is '24 carrat bulsiht' because .......... but the sentence ended with no qualification of what I have missinterprited.

A couple of people have stopped posting their choice. A couple of people joined so they could stop posting, OK. Bit wierd.

Can I also add I have never private mailed someone to insult them personally, anywhere!

I don't pride myself on offending people but I find it hard to let it go when they do it to me. Some times we all read things differently even though it is written the same. 

I try to be generally polite and treat people as they treat me, is that fair?

I have fought all my life and if I see something wrong I tend to call a spade a spade and sometimes it gets away from me a bit.

I shall endevour to be more easy going as the hobby is not growing we need people that actualy have an interest.

Sorry!

Rich

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

Ian please try to remember that here we don’t provoke argument. If you have a particular grudge with any member then you don’t include it on here.thats your last warning matey. Stick to the rules!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2