Mystery Items

Richard Auld

Guys,

picked up a lucky bag from the scrappys today.

Some date stamp tools for burning into wood or leather?

Odd shaped tools that I will clean up and look for markings.

A box of things that look like drift pins.

They are what got me searching as the are Marked 10 (size?) 1942 Year and 'clc' three letter code, they are also blued like weapon parts.

I can't find my codes book so don't have an idea what the firm manufactured.

Any ideas?

Rich

CIMG1788.JPG

CIMG1789.JPG

CIMG1794.JPG

CIMG1795.JPG

CIMG1796.JPG

CIMG1797.JPG

CIMG1798.JPG

CIMG1799.JPG

• Upvote 1

So, cleaned them up a bit and I must say they are very well made!

The wooden thing that looks like a drum stick is hollow with a hole at the narrow end as if you would blow down it and the fatter end has 10 holes?

The other wooden bit with string was attached to the handle with the rack affair.

The other date stamp handles are probably for 1942 and 1943 as that is the only wartime dates one could make with those 5 stamps.

Lastly the small items dated 1942 have all cleaned up well and the box looks to be large enough for 40 or 50 of them in rows of 10.

Any ideas?

Rich

CIMG1815.JPG

CIMG1816.JPG

CIMG1817.JPG

CIMG1818.JPG

CIMG1819.JPG

CIMG1813.JPG

Are they possibly anything to do with blacksmithing or farriers, they look a bit extreme for horses, but you never know??????

• Upvote 1

Dave, 

I do have some blacksmith tools some similar to this but I am not getting what you would 'brand' with the date stamps, I am thinking leather or wood?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to show them at (dare I say this) an old tools group on facebook, i think there are several or even one of the antique pages there.

Might be worth a spin Mike. I will add it to the to do list. I am not on FB much at all.

Rich

• Like 1

If you like Richard I could download your pictures to my phone and post at one of the pages I belong too. Also may help to know what country you're in. I'm thinking Germany but. ...

Mike,

that is a very kind offer, be my guest, yes, found in a German scrap yard!

Thanks for the assistance!

Best Rich

Only got a couple answers but the consensus is farriers tools for the most part. The u shaped piece with the wooden handle is for working in a horses, or other large animals mouth. 

OK, I suppose that would make sense since there were a lot of ST (Stalle) buildings on camp. I suppose a farier maight also do a bit of saddlery, hence the date brands?

Thanks for your time Mike.

if I find any DDR I wiull drop you a line.

Rich

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I gave one of the small 'clc' things to an EOD bloke that knows a bloke who knows another bloke.....

It transpires that they are armoureres tools for measureing gaps or holes on a weapon system, he said machine gun but nothing specific. I hope to get an introduction to the bloke as he is an expert in this area.

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld