Learning the basics

val

• val pinned this topic

Thats a useful piece of info Val, It should help the less informed on helmets to see how the helmets have progressed during WW1 and WW2 and the changes in helmets over the period

9 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Whats the purpose of an ear cut helmet?

As far as i know - better hearing over the M16 and standard M18

• Like 2

Hello to you All,

Thanks for the link Val, very interesting, but my only opinion is that maybe these type of cut out "ear pieces" were for the use of only those using telephones/ a hearing device such as headphones....during a barrage of shells etc.....Not sure but interested to know why they were made like this?

Best to you all......Ian

Good Question Mike H,

I have added what I think, but the experts will know better than me.

Best to you...Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

https://www.history-revisited.com/detail/id/613/name/german-m18-helmet,-ww1,-ear-cut-out,-a1-reproduction

" This modified version of the M1918 helmet was first given to the German troops on the Western front in August 1918.
The main reason for this alteration was the fact that the standard model prevented good hearing within the trenches."

• Like 2

Thanks Val......So nothing to do as I thought about using comms/ telephone in the trenches?

Best to you.....Ian

17 minutes ago, val said:

https://www.history-revisited.com/detail/id/613/name/german-m18-helmet,-ww1,-ear-cut-out,-a1-reproduction

" This modified version of the M1918 helmet was first given to the German troops on the Western front in August 1918.
The main reason for this alteration was the fact that the standard model prevented good hearing within the trenches."

Thanks Val. August of 1918 explains why you don't see many pictures of them. But also the link you share says it was issued to cavalry of which was not used that much by that time either.

• Thanks 1