Odd bread bag

Richard Auld

Strange, looks more like a map case , what with the pencil type fittings

• Like 1

That is why it is odd!?

There was some to do about them a while ago and I can't remember what the judgement was!

Everything looks well stiched and done professonally, maybe it was done period, ?? but I dont remember anything relating to doubts about authenticity on these, have you any idea as to when these were looked at with doubt???

Dave, 

I can't honestly remember, It was posted by me about 10 years ago on WRF before my ban. I wan't postin on WAF then or GMIC so anything said would have been back then.

Rich

Here's what was known 6 years ago.

All I would add to what Tom said is that the BA stamp would have been added when it went through the depot, most of these that are posted are in unused condition and any that show light wear look more likely to have been used post war?

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648516

Rich

It's another oddity, but I think it is real. Some other examples has been found, and all in unissued condition. It could be a test model ( prototype? ) or perhaps something ment for the Heereskleiderkasse - ment for private purchase?  As the war progressed in 1940 lots of changes in production of german equipment took place. 
Production of these seems to have stopeed from 1940 onwards.
They are all mainly constructed in pre-war specifications - Leather reinforcements on the belt loops, D-rings, buttons and belt hook made of aluminium.  From 1940 all metalfittings on breadbags were swapped for painted steel metalparts and from 41-42, the leather reinforcements on the belt loops were phased out.

I don't think that the strap pictured with the breadbag has followed it from the start. Althou a close resemblence in color, it's not a 100% match. The metalparts on the strap looks to be gray painted steel.

Yes, I agree it is not a match but it was inside it when I got it?!

Yes 70 odd years are a long time ,plenty of time for stuff to move around.

I generaly leave stuff as I found it unless something like a helmet chinstrap or something like that, that could complete and item.

Rich

• Like 1

Maybe those holders are not for pencils but for very thin bratwurst :)

End of war, lack of everything, rations are small, so bread and thin sausage ;)

• Haha 1