M1917

KingTiggy80

My newest addition to the family. A M1917 from the 101st Combat Engineer Battalion of the 26th Yankee Division. I don't have any books on the maker stamp on the helmet so if anyone knows how to look it up that would be great.

KIMG0904.JPG

KIMG0905.JPG

KIMG0906.JPG

KIMG0907.JPG

KIMG0909.JPG

KIMG0910.JPG

KIMG0911.JPG

KIMG0912.JPG

KIMG0913.JPG

KIMG0914.JPG

KIMG0915.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know a thing about US helmets but there is a bloke that has written a book about the British helmets and their variants, he is active on a few sites, since the style of helmet is similar he may have encountered this firm in the past or he may have a better steer for you in where to look.

Give him a spin, I am sure he will be able to help.

http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/12057-helmets-of-the-home-front-civil-defence-helmets-uk/?tab=comments#comment-78789

Rich

PS edit, my only observation is that it looks like it has had or was being prepared to have a 6 point star shaped badge at the front but I am sure you noted that already, is that a clew?

Edited by Richard Auld

@KingTiggy80 your helmet is British in origins and it was manufactured by Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd, of Sheffield  England they produced helmet bodies from 1916 through 1918 they also used an  " F " mark and most likely used an " FKS " mark as well to identify their helmet bodies...

The remnants of the red stamp in the liner identifies it as Brodies Steel Helmet War office Pattern your example is post 1917 ( it is a Mark I steel helmet ) as it has a formed rim added which were not added till 1916 and has the additional rubber ring added to the dome area ( these were not added till some time in 1917 ) to help with direct impacts being transferred to the skull...

Kind Regards Mark 

• Like 3

The flash on the front of the helmet body is for the 26th Division 101st Engineers as can be seen in this period chart of insignia that was published in the Boston Globe in 1919...

Regards Mark

26thhelmetchart.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Mark,

I don't collect helmets but your chart above will help many on MCN to find the insignia for their own helmets.

Thanks & best to you....Desert Rat/Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Upvote 2

Has a background colour for the unit faded then ie the star part, if so what would it have been?

Rich

@Richard Auld the background color on the star has indeed faded away it would have been originally been white which you can still see traces of on the original posters helmet on the outline of the star where it has been cut into the helmet ...

One can only speculate as to why the star has all but disappeared now but I would think it is due to to the type of paint and or  pigment that was used I do find this a fairly common occurrence with old types of paints some will stand out and last forever others disappear with time either fading and or flaking away...

Regards Mark   

101stEng.jpg

Rare-Original-Wwi-Ww1-Us-M1917-Helmet-101St.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They are what they are Mark, they are getting on a bit now I suppose. Saying that none of us are getting any younger!

Rich