PAK 40 crew

PrinzEugenGJ

Hi guys, first post here after subscribing 3y ago.

What was the equipment that a PAK40 richter/gunner carried onto his belt?

Google dont give me answers.

Thanks,

Diego

03517.jpg

27 minutes ago, PrinzEugenGJ said:

What was the equipment that a PAK40 richter/gunner carried onto his belt?

Hi. Can you be more specific? I add more detailed image.

pak40.jpg

What did the richter carried with him when he is in combat? A pouch with a measuring tool, some sort of adjusting tools? Or nothing and just his standard stuff that the common foot soldier would carry because the gun was designed that it easily can be operated by 1 soldier, Remy Schrijnen is a perfect example or a 1 man manned PAK40.

That i know, picture was for attention.

Another example to maybe make my question more clear: An MG gunner carried a pouch with the spider sight, oiler, heat resistant pad and a barrelcleaner with himself.

Did the Pak40 richter had a similar pouch or was all that stuff stored somewhere else in a case on the truck that towed the gun and did the soldiers didnt carry all that stuff in pouches on their belt?

How would a PAK40 richer his loadout look like?

Hope that this description is clearer in explenatiin in what i look for 

I would think that it was stored, in a container, a box, that was part of the Pak40, I reckon it would have been too much weight on one mans belt

10 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I would think that it was stored, in a container, a box, that was part of the Pak40, I reckon it would have been too much weight on one mans belt

Thats what i also had tought. And since its not a field howitser, it does not required the measuring tools and rulers for calculating a artillery barrage.

As ex artillery man I would agree with Dave as in end effect the crew are expendible and if you loose a bloke that is carrying a key part of the weapon system you loose it too.

All our Gun specific equipment was stored on the Gun and detachments could quickly change and they would know where to find a specific tool if required, if someone haden't knicked it of course!

Have a search for the PAK HdV, it will probably state anything crew wise there.

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

As ex artillery man I would agree with Dave as in end effect the crew are expendinble and if you loose a bloke that is carrying a key part of the weapon system you loose it too.

All our Gun specific equipment was stored on the Gun and detachments could quickly change and they would know where to find a specific tool if required, if someone haden't knicked it of course!

Have a search for the PAK HdV, it will probably state anything crew wise there.

Rich

Cant have a better source! Thanks :)

That is just a guess based on my experience.

It could be there was something but I doubt it! 

The only extra items issued by appiontment to us was a parka for the driver  (No4) and No1 (commander), No2 (the loader) had to freeze his balls off out the other hatch unless he had a contact in the Q's or had a 'Buckshee'! 

The No1 also had Binocular and Prismatic compass for anti tank and emergency firing although it was more usual for the gun line section commander to set the bearing by compass if required.

The gunners quadrant was stored by the No 1's seat if I remember correctly. Elevation set by No3 (layer) and checked by No1.

That is how things function, everyone has a small part to do to make the machine work.

Stops working if No3 goes for sentry duty and doesn't come back and he has the quadrant on his belt or likewise the fuse setter with No2? All such stuff stayed on the Gun.

Rich

Plundered this in the First Gulf from an ACRV command post, we also stole an M109 to play with!

Crew were gone or dead but all the veh specific stuff was there, I was down the pecking order so ended up with this!

The bosses took the Binoculars, compasses, directors head etc, basicaly the 'shiny stuff'!

In retrospect it has worked out well as that is a snapshot of history with the enemy plan and intent?

Sorry the point of the post was all the items looted were still properly stowed in marked positions in German, the veh was a gift or bought from the GDR!

http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/11281-moving-house-finding-lost-stuff/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply. Good info. I think Somehow the german PAK40 crew would have similar things in storaging and transort their stuff.