Arbeitsdienst Traditions

Gwar

Hello, This topic will be on Traditions-Mutzenabzeichen or traditional cap badges of the Reichsarbeitsdienst ( RAD )

The first tradition badge was authorized for use on Dec. 15, 1936 for the Arbeitsgau XVIII Niedersachsen-Ost.

It depicts two crossed bars with a horse head on each side and a Swastika underneath with wheat inside of the arms of the swastika.

The actual size is 3.7 x 4.25cm approx. These have not been seen to be maker marked and as with all RAD items are devoid of any RZM markings.

There were two different badges in production, a solid four prong version and a hollow back single pin. It was to worn on the Feldmutze ( Side Cap ) or 

the Arbeitsdienstmutze ( Also known as the "Kaffeebohne" Coffee Bean or Robin Hood Cap ) on the left side, positioned slightly in the middle of the cap so it 

was above the left ear in wear.

Any questions or comments are welcome, Thanks for reading.. G

RAD_Arbeitsgau_XVIII_Niedersachsen-Ost%20(2).jpg

100_9462_191029031245.jpg

100_9463_191029031309.jpg

100_9464_191029031332.jpg

100_9465_191029031402.jpg

IW 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GWAR, thanks for showing these, to be honest I,ve not seen these insignia before, were there other types used??

49 minutes ago, Davejb said:

GWAR, thanks for showing these, to be honest I,ve not seen these insignia before, were there other types used??

At this time I do have more to post at a later date, I believe that there were 17 official designs, some are very elusive.

100_9467.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi Gwar, 

I live in Bergen by Belsen so I like the first design, this is still to be found on the gable end of older houses here as a tradiotional local decoration, obviously not with the swastika. 

I knew of these but haven't seen any in detail (perhaps I have and never noticed), I particularly like the wheat in between the swastika arms, obviously a link to RAD.

If you did not know what they were they could be confused with Tinnies.

Thanks for the informative post.

Rich

1 hour ago, Richard Auld said:

Hi Gwar, 

I live in Bergen by Belsen so I like the first design, this is still to be found on the gable end of older houses here as a tradiotional local decoration, obviously not with the swastika. 

I knew of these but haven't seen any in detail (perhaps I have and never noticed), I particularly like the wheat in between the swastika arms, obviously a link to RAD.

If you did not know what they were they could be confused with Tinnies.

Thanks for the informative post.

Rich

Richard, I agree, the design of the two horse is still prominent in Germany even today especially in the Niedersachsen area. This too as you mentioned can also be found on tinnies. It was used in the construction  / decoration of many Arbeitsdienstlager of the era as can be seen in period photos.

image.png.faa3a3d489892a51a726a5119a962450.png

CCF08122019_00000PHOTORESIZERCROPRESIZEANDSHAREIMAGESINBATCH812201933829PM.jpg

y-4322%20099.jpg

y-5171%20(92).jpg