How to identify a RAD sleeve shield

Gwar

Hello, We have all seen them, the black, white and red Arm shields with a shovel and some numbers on them, but what are they for and how to identify them. First they are officially named "Dienststellenabzeichen" not Armelabzeichen or Armelspaten. They were introduced for use in Aug. of 1933 and were to replace the FAD / NSAD and adapt to the new Arbeitsdienst. These can be found in a few different colors ie; Gold , Silver and even devoid any numerals at all or with letters, which will be discussed at a different time and post. In Germany, the states or locales were divided in to a Arbeitsgau structure that identified them as a number ( See attached Map ). Depending where one lived or worked that was their GAU. Each Gau had RAD Abteilung, Gruppen and units in that wide spread area doing projects of some sort depending on need and priority. So, we will start with this Dienstellenabzeichen Abt.7/275 ( See Attached ). All the Gau were in Roman Numerals. So the first thing we look at is the top number, first two Arabic numerals and that is the assigned Gau number ( See attached ) and that is the GAU, in this case 27. The three numbers combined at the top are the Gruppe 275 ( See attached ) and the bottom number is the unit 7  ( See attached ). So, if we look at the map we can see in the bottom left hand  GAU XXVII which is Baden. Now, there were several groups in each GAU so for Baden there were 10 Groups from 270-279, they were 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ( See attached map with red Gruppen ), and each group like 275 would have sub groups such as, 1/275, 2/275, 3/275 etc; but usually only 6-8 of them in that three digit number, there are exceptions. If we are lucky enough to have access to RAD Abteilung information we can look up Abeirtsgau XXVII, Baden, 7/275 and the other units within that group ( See attached ), the list is not as accurate as the records we keep in the group I moderate, but I hope you get the basic idea, some of that information is Ehrenname or "Honor Names" that a lot of camps used to distinguish themselves, as 2/275's honor name is shown as  "Friedrich Weinbrenner". So, from there we can check the Database of Arbeitsdienstlagers for Gau XXVII, Baden, 2/275 for locations, honor names and perhaps a glimpse of the camp itself, and we do have a photo of the camp in the archives. So, RAD 7/275 was Arbeitsgau XXVII, Baden, located in Buchenau, honor name "Friedrich Weinbrenner" ( See attached ). I kind of hodge podged this together to give a bit of insight of the fascinating world of the RAD. I could have typed for hours and pages deep of information, but if you are interested we can take it up a notch if the need is there. I have lastly added a incomplete list of Abeitsgau numbers and locations which I can also complete if there is interest. Feel free to add comments or questions and I will respond the best that I can. Have a good one G

map 39.jpg

rad shield 7-275 XXVII Baden.jpg

rad shield 7-275 XXVII Baden - Copy (2).jpg

rad shield 7-275 XXVII Baden - Copy (3).jpg

rad shield 7-275 XXVII Baden - Copy.jpg

0006.jpg

baden.jpg

7-275 Buchenau 'Friedrich Weinbrenner'.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a useful explanation, cheers.

I don't suppose you happen to know which RAD unit started out in what became the Belsen concentration camp do you?

Rich

2 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

That is a useful explanation, cheers.

I don't suppose you happen to know which RAD unit started out in what became the Belsen concentration camp do you?

Rich

Hello Rich, I believe there were a few RAD units in that area, the occupation years of the RAD may / may not corelate a direct connection with the construction dates of the camp. I will consult a member of our group and make an inquiry and will share any info gained. G

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I should know this, there is a post card picture of the RAD camp, I know where it is but the bloke won't part with it. I have just got though a pile of local stuff that is up his street, I will try and ply him with it!

Thanks again.

Rich

• Like 1

Val, 2/422 is a very high number for the  RAD , it seems sometimes that the higher the number the later is was in the war and records weren't kept as well. I searched the database and came up with nothing as of yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Gwar, do have any other numbers for Estland (Estonia)?

For example Reval (Tallinn), Dorpat (Tartu) etc? Thanks.

Richard, If you could ask him for any information that is usually on the front or the back of the card it may be easier to determine the area that you have stated. I did find Bergen I and a Bergen II RAD affiliation in the area the latter being in or around 38', Belsen was a POW camp originally for Belgian and French prisoners, in 41' it was renamed Stalag 311 for Soviet prisoners, the camp name  was officially changed again to Bergen-Belsen in 43' and then housed Jewish people for prisoner swaps, though this rarely took place. G

The camp would have been around 34.35,36 as the main Wehrmacht camp was started around 36 and I have maps where it appears half built then the next year complete. Leave it with me, I will try for at least a picture of the postcard if he won't swap! 

Rich

• Like 1

Val, this may be of interest for you although most likely not RAD related, I have this photo in my collection, it is Vana Apteek in Narva, it came with a handful of rad pics I have, it was destroyed in 6/3/44 during Soviet bombings, the other photo ( Destroyed ) belongs to a friend who posted it to answer my question about the location. G

100_3973.jpg

100_3978.jpg

4191.jpg

• Like 2

Val, the first one mentions a "Arbeitsamt" in Dorpat, Very interesting.. An office or exchange.. It reminds me of the "Beschaffungsamt" for some reason..

Medical Truppfuhrer.jpg

best.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Gwar, i add here also one old book. This is about Baltic youth in RAD service.

Although it is in Estonian, there's lot of pictures, also some sleeve patches.

rad.pdf

Val, Very nice, I have a few books in my collection as well, Here is this from the book 6/182..

Edited by Gwar
wrong

This is one of my favorites, lots of info and pictures with honor names and all the camps in Arbeitsgau XXVII Baden, 270-279 with maps of the areas and when the camps relocated an to where..spacer.png

112.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

yhst-32193482166639_2081_101850999.jpeg

010.jpg

Edited by Gwar
  • Like 1

Just now, Gwar said:

So Val, what do you collect RAD wise ?

Currently only information regarding RAD and Estland / Ostland.