Fake RAD Buckles

Gwar

Another member and myself recently had a discussion on RAD buckles and how some are faked. First introduced in early 36' the buckle replaced the old FAD variants and adapted a new uniform look, designed by Ergon Jantke who was already a fixture in Third Reich as the "Technical Advisor" for the RAD high command designing uniforms, insignia and other items. The buckle was described as having the "New" RAD emblem of a pointed shovel surrounded by five ears of corn in a circle with a pebbled field, no lettering was visible. The construction was a one piece die struck aluminum and there were several manufactures, the most prolific being in the Ludenscheid area ie; FW Assman, Richard Sieper & Sohns, Steinhaur & Luck, etc; etc; 

Assman cata3.jpg

brocade catalog.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The RAD were considered a State Organization and therefore were not governed by the control of the RZM and no buckles should have any RZM markings whatsoever. Here is a very bad fake from the Czech Republic, no Third Reich buckle was ever produced or manufactured in this fashion and any and all in this configuration are to be considered Fake.

8_01_06_2_2.jpg

8_01_06_2_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Rad buckles were never produced in steel. The tell here is also the faint but visible "Dot" left over from the fakers during the process.

rad_aluminum_buckle3.jpg

rad_aluminum_buckle1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another bad fake, this one is from Poland. Notice the RZM and M4 designation, first clue to a fake.

Bad rad.jpg

• Thanks 1

This one catches people out a lot..  A cast Gustave Brehmer, there is a identifier though, a cast "Flaw" under the Spaten, recently though the fakers I believe have corrected this impurity, either way they are still being sold as "Replica" but who is to say they don't fall into the hands of unscrupulous sellers on the internet or dealers asleep at the wheel.

rf 3.jpg

Screenshot (2626).png

rf 1.jpg

rf 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A recent "Fake" is the LGS or L Gottlieb & Sohn, similar in comparison to the GB buckle but the casting process left a mark or "Bubble" on the Spaten. This one is really close in look, but the overall construction without giving too many details is alarming. So, when considering a purchase of any buckle you are unsure of, ask a Forum like this or others and seek input before parting ways with your cash, the bottom line is to have quality items in your collection at a reasonable price and the satisfaction of knowing all your pieces are genuine. Hope this helped someone, any questions or comments are welcome.. G

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I have to admit I'm neither a RAD or buckle collector but that was damn interesting! Thank you

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Hello Mike,

Same as you I am completely not going to collect these again....unless I can be certain they are genuine (which I think will be worth a lot more) I have had a few in my small collection and sold a few...but this is my final decision.....DO NOT BUY ANYMORE!!!

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1