RAD Mutzenabzeichen

Gwar

The aluminum RAD cap badge made for the Arbeitsdienstmutze was introduced in 1935 as the new official Mutzenabzeichen. The badge was made in aluminum and featured two shafts of wheat that branched upward from the bottom of the spade handle, in the center was a upright spade with a swastika in the center and the inner portion  of  a black swastika pebbled, the border edge in red.

1 First pattern.jpg

Mutzenabzeichen Dia..jpg

• Thanks 2

The reverse of the insignia should have the letters of the maker or their logo or both, along with the last two digits of the year produced and a triangle with the rad acceptance mark inside RLAD, the "L" is most commonly seen and referred to as a "J" bit it is a backwards "L" and it stands for " Reichsleitung des Arbeitsdienstes " and there is most times the "GES GESH" which is for "Gesetzlich Geschutzt" or protected by law. There were also two prongs for attachment.

100_8408.JPG

N024578thumb.jpg

Original-German-Ww2-Photograph-Rad-Portrait-12-X.jpg

Edited by Gwar
pictures upload
  • Thanks 2

There were many manufactures of this particular piece and it is not uncommon to find one with the "L" in the wrong facing position but not often.

L wrong facing.jpg

kll.jpg

• Thanks 2

The officers wore an enameled version and these had a different style of prongs for attachment..

rad enamel 2.jpg

2 Second pattern.jpg

Rad%20cap%20badges%20014.jpg

N025881thumb.jpg

Edited by Gwar
Picture upload
  • Thanks 2

In or around 1937 orders were issued directing all officers above the rank of Feldmeister to wear a hand embroidered version done by hand using a "Unterlagen" or pattern which was labor intensive to replace the enameled version.

N019481thumb.jpg

5 Fifth Pattern.jpg

7b08b8dde00fc86063d179e9c371930e_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Edited by Gwar
  • Thanks 2

As the war progressed it was changed to a woven model for officers most likely due lo labor and material shortages.

4 Fourth Pattern.jpg

Edited by Gwar
picture upload
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting these Gwar, you dont see many of these at shows, I cant remember when I saw any of these at the War and Peace show, It must have been quite a few years ago, and I,ve never seen any of the caps with these badges on, which suggests they may be pretty rare

@Davejb, Yes, these aren't non existent and come up for sale on a few trusted sites but they are pricey. The Holy grail would be a Arbeitsfuhrer or Gauarbeitsfuhrer cap with the gold piping and gold hand embroidered insignia, pictured is a Schimutze with the double flaps ( Ober -und Unterklappe ) and the traditional Robin Hood hat also for the high ranking leaders as we see here a supposed hat worn by the Reichsarbeitsfuher Hierl ( Red background ) and another that belonged to ??? Thanks for the response.. G

b2ap3_thumbnail_G52579_d.jpg

rad.jpg

image005.jpg

1-74r-a225649_c.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The picture of the plain light grey one on a darker grey background, is this a template that you would sew around, or is the a different design ??

10 hours ago, Davejb said:

The picture of the plain light grey one on a darker grey background, is this a template that you would sew around, or is the a different design ??

That is the "Unterlagen" template to sew around..

Unterlagen.jpg

9c90e18acb213617ddcd470bff770fd8_1024x1024@2x.jpg

19 minutes ago, val said:

@Gwar, what material is that "Unterlagen"?

Is it flexible or rigid?

The particular one in my collection is very brittle, but I would guess when new pliable.. There was a bag full of these recently up for auction but I passed...

Screenshot (542).png

• Thanks 1

I take it that these templates , before sowing, had the two long parts at the side , removed and them the whole item joined via the sowing??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

I take it that these templates , before sowing, had the two long parts at the side , removed and them the whole item joined via the sowing??

This is my impression...

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

They look like pressed card or paper,very fragile 

Yes, i think they are cardboard. Very interesting to see how the technology advanced

and become cheaper. Thanks @Gwar !!!

• Like 1