Robert Spiers Band of Brothers fame

Davejb

Earlier, on MCN Facebook page there were items that belonged to Robert Spiers , and even though these were not rare items, they were part of a History , and yet no  one seemed to recognise what the significance was re his name, what he and the BOB paras did, there were no comments , now the post has disappeared,  Do some collectors actually not know war time history, and just collect things that look good to them

• Upvote 1

With social media people collect what they are told is fashionable, I suppose?

You can see plenty of them on all the fora, allegedly knowlable but always asking for approval of their items before they celebrate their latest great item?

Lots with no idea what it is or its significance, just happy to have that next big buck item!

Sorry, next year I am going to be more posative, it will be my new years resolution!

Rich

• 1 year later...

Hello Dave,

Sorry again for being so late in answering.....no excuse!

I would just like to add the image I took down the road from Utah Beach where there is a super Memorial to Richard Winters, also associated with Robert Spears......in the 101st Airborne / Screaming Eagles.

Best to you....Desert Rat

Also a memorial for the crew of a C-47 that crashed near St - Mere - Eglise .....Killing all the Para's of the 101st onboard....I think also was killed was Lieutenant Thomas Meehan? And another 101st Memorial.

All Images sole copyright of Ian R. Bridle/UK

IMGP3582.JPG

IMGP3590.JPG

IMGP3605.JPG

IMGP3591.JPG

Hello to you ALL.

I hope this is acceptable for all of those who fought on D-Day, including my Dad, this is an acceptable way of all of us from the UK, Canada, and the Free French Force and  of course the U.S.A forces who gave so many lives especially on the initial landings of D - Day they should ALL be Remembered...These images are from the Cemetery above "Bloody" Omaha Beach".....We Do Remember Them ALL...!!!! So Brave...We Remember you ALL...!!!

IMGP3659.JPG

IMGP3646.JPG

IMGP3737.JPG

IMGP6102.JPG

IMGP6116.JPG

IMGP6789.JPG

IMGP6807.JPG

OMAHA BEACH.jpg

Hello Davejb, 

This what you added earlier,

Earlier, on MCN Facebook page there were items that belonged to Robert Spiers , and even though these were not rare items, they were part of a History , and yet no  one seemed to recognise what the significance was re his name, what he and the BOB paras did, there were no comments , now the post has disappeared,  Do some collectors actually not know war time history, and just collect things that look good to them.

First my apology to you Dave I was NOT at all or in anyway "trying to make you the bad guy", that is an extreme comment, but you have every right to bollock me for the rest I put,  and to all members of MCN Commitee I make an apology, I should not have added what I did expecting people to like it. My stupid mistake and I can only as I have done apologise for it.

Surely the images I added were interesting to some people as I had hoped and would add some intererest to your account and that it was intended to show others that I have been to visit these areas where the 101st landed, were buried and fought and died...!

I wish you both well & Best Wishes

Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Hello,

Sorry, I forgot  to add titles to the images from top to bottom for those who have never visited the Normandy area where the U.S Troops landed on D - Day.

1/ MEMORIAL TO RICHARD WINTERS

2/ ALL THE PARAS FROM THE 101 ST WHEN THE C-47 CARRYING THEM WAS SHOT DOWN....ALL KILLED.

3/ MEMORIAL TO THE 101 ST

4/ MEMORIAL TO THE 101 ST - KILLED IN ACTION

5/ OMAHA BEACH MEMORIAL - IN THE CEMETERY

6/ SHERMAN TANK MEMORIAL TO THE CREW

7/ OMAHA BEACH - MEMORIAL

8/ OMAHA BEACH - TODAY

9/ RICHARD WINTERS MEMORIAL 

10/ PONT DU HOC - 200 -300 FEET HIGH THAT THE 2ND RANGERS CLIMBED TO TRY AND SILENCE THE GUNS .......THERE WERE NO GUNS THERE BUT WERE MOVED INLAND AND WOOD TELEGRAPH POLES REPLACED THE ORIGINAL GUNS TO DECIEVE THE RECONISANNCE AIRCRAFT.

11/ OMAHA BEACH - TODAY - NO COVER AT ALL FOR THE U.S FORCES WHO LANDED.....RENAMED AS "BLOODY OMAHA"...AS SO MANY WERE KILLED WITHIN A SHORT FEW HOURS.

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

I see that again you are trying to be frugal with the true reasons as to why i did not reply to you, and you have edited out this part but in the messages you added more, so lets have the full truth, My reason for not repling to you as I stated was the fact that my wife had a bad full on the stairs  therefore her well being comes before you and this forum, I do not like the way you try to manipulate the truth on this forum and you have had warnings before regarding this, plus your last comment  "I wish you BOTH well" proves that there was more being said

• Confused 1

Dave,

What is the actual problem between us?, if you do not wish you to reply to any of my comments or images, if you don't want to, that is your decision, I have edited out the part as I did not want other to know your wife had a fall, but YES I will gladly add anything you want to save this strange animosity between us......just tell me what you require of me to do  as I am not ashamed of what I done, but I do fell bloody stupid as I should know better than to add  - "If you like this....(.Fhell..)...Please leave a like!!!!!! Is that so wrong to You?

And believe me I really thought that you especially would like the images added as your comment mentioned......But obviously not...Well at my age in life.. I realize you cannot please everyone or sometimes it's absoluttely impossible to please any individual.....Ca La Vie...!!!

I am sorry you feel this way, as you being one of the first members on here, I am just shocked and disappointed at the way to have reacted to this seemingly not so important comment I made , I have apologised to you and the MCN Commitee, but as always people want use my comments me like a bloody inquisition, like 2 other members who have done nothing in 5 years but to find childish and idioistic comments of what I have added to MCN...Chat with Lenny and the others in the Commitee and see how they react. I have always tried to commend your comments...and never find fault or a critisized you.

Dave please I am not a difficult person, but at times yes I can be as some others are on here and you know, who they are, and what I said for the two of you I am sincere that I do wish you both well....Why can't you accept this? I mean it ask other MCN members..........Yes I made a mistake, I apologised to you and the MCN commitee and still you want to pursue this...???

What can I add now that you will find fault with? I will add what I feel is important to MCN not you or anyone else this is for the Man who created it....and I am sad and pissed off that others will read this and see the adversity between members...Dave ...This is NOT good for MCN's reputation in getting new members, you should know this!.

Best to you both.......Ian....And for the LAST time I mean it...!!!