Roof

Richard Auld

Guys,

Been off a week but achieved very little. Put my f-ing back out. 

I am doing a room up for the kids visit at Christmas but the attic where the hobby flat is has a leak but only with really heavy rain!

I have bought some spray foam stuff that will seal it but I am open to any tips if anyone has experience with Velux Windows in roofs? 

I can't see where it is coming in but thought to seal the whole side onto the roof tiles, is this practicle?

Thanks for any tips!

Rich

I don't know what kind of roof you have, but if there's already a leak, some

moisture damage has already happened. You really need to find the place

where leak occurs and check for any damage. Since you witness visible leak

only on heavy rain means that water gets in also in case of lighter rain but doesn't

get through all the way and reaches somewhere in the middle.

Mold is terrible thing and you don't want it there.

It could be water seeping in via the roof tiles, there maybe one or two that have damage, you need to get above the roof and the window to see is there are any gaps that have formed, also examine the window surround, the sealing compound on the exterior may be letting water in  during heavy rain

Val I will do a picture tomorrow, I think that it is just due to the very heavy rain that happens only rarely. I will have a go with the expanding foam stuff. Try to seal the window frame directly to the roof tiles. I have just emptied the room that we will decorate and I am on my arse with this back injury! I only have 4 more days so I will have to suck it up!

Rich

Val,

Too dark for pictures outside, been on my arse with my back!

This is under it where it is coming through.

Finished clearing out the last bits and bobs ready to start painting/repairing.

Just found my old note book from 2003 or 2007 in Iraq!

Will post it up in the correct section.

Rich

CIMG1964.JPG

Val, I think with heavy rain it is just comming down like a river so I need to join the frame to the tiles with the foam ? The tile highlighted does not look straight.

Rich

CIMG1971.JPG

52 minutes ago, Richard Auld said:

Val, I think with heavy rain it is just comming down like a river so I need to join the frame to the tiles with the foam ? The tile highlighted does not look straight.

Seems like you found the culprit.

I thought the tiles had to cover right up to the window frame and just extend over the lip so that water would rundown the window and not leave an open gap, plus it looks like you have a section of frame that has a gap letting water in

• Like 1

Hoping the weather holds off, still a bit damp over here to be doing the roof, just need a dry day.

Have taken a calculated risk due to time constarint and gone ahead with the room repair. Painted through with a bit of grey paint over the 70's wall paper as it is good quality and relatively undamaged.

I think it will do for now, a lot of the damaged area of the roof came down and was worse than I thought but I have replastered it and finished witha bit of chipwood.

Bobs your uncle!

Rich

CIMG1982.JPG

CIMG1979.JPG

CIMG1976.JPG

CIMG1981.JPG

CIMG1974.JPG

• Like 1

Cheers Mike.

Turns out it is not my back but a bloody hernia so I have to probably have an operation, ballhawks!

Just got to get the carpet down now somehow. 

I will manage that then put my feet up for the rest of my holidays.

Rich

Carpet is here tomorrow after I go to the doctors!

Getting there.

Rich

CIMG1985.JPG

CIMG1983.JPG

CIMG1984.JPG

• Like 1

Hi guys,

back now as the room is finished! 

Not a hernia, just a groin strain and I have 5 discs knackered in my back.

@val , I wish the radiators were gold then I would have a Ferrari! I just sprayed them gold to make them fit in a bit with what Liz wanted.

Just needs a couple of pictures now and a couple of bed side tables and we are ready for the kids!

Rich

CIMG1990.JPG

CIMG2012.JPG

CIMG2011.JPG

Edited by Richard Auld