WW1 Dental Surgeon's battlefield case

Lee

Greetings !  First-time visitor here from Central New York State .   I recently came home from a sale with something I do believe demands saving for future generations .  It appears to be a U.S. dental surgeon's battlefield case (finished in leather) that was employed in the field to address dental and overall facial injuries .  Whatever was required in the form of emergency surgery and reconstruction so as to save a life or provide medical to a soldier prior to being removed from the field , was to be addressed by the field surgeon's skills and the implements loaded in this case .  It measures about 30" long , 18" high , and 18" deep (approximations) --- the case is in my storage .  When opened up , it becomes the surgeon's only source of his wares and becomes a portable surgeon's station .  

This case has plenty of stenciled identifiers on the exterior (one even being misspelled) , so I believe that there's someone out there that can shed some light on this item .  I have spent time researching this item on the net with no avail ; not finding a suitable description , nor any photos that come close to depicting what I have .  

Is there ANYONE out there that might be interested in receiving some photos for review ???  Not being a militaria collector or researcher , I'm at a  standstill .  Ultimately , I would like to see this find a home where it could be displayed and appreciated for what it is ---- a piece of U.S. military history that places one directly on the field of battle .  I do believe , by looking at this particular item , that it indeed did see war and service time for which it was intended .  It has seen the best and worst of military battle and all its effects .

Anyone interested in some photos to help put a story behind this item ???

Thank you kindly,

Lee

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Hello Lee,

Welcome to MCN, we all hope you enjoy it. I think we all have a phobia about dental objects.....but in the field they were certainly neccessary for severe mouth wounds by enemy fire and helped to ease the terrible pain those who had their mouths and teeth severely damage or lost. It' something we don't always like to know and see....but send a couple of images please.

Best Wishes....Desert Rat