Mills Bombs

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Although I collect German grenades, still have a soft spot for Mills Bombs... Err, that didn't sound right.. :o

C'mon, shows your mills bombs... :grenade:

large.image.jpeg.b1763d102c2d10c8925e22f

• Field Marshall

This one just in today, unfinished casting. Blagged from the foundry or ????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Er, you seem to have a few Grenades there, I had 6 at one time, now i,ve only got one Mills 36 but the casing is dated 1918, but in perfect condition, brown paint, with ring and spoon, spring in great shape, never been filled, base plug dated WW2, yet this came straight from the Vet who used this in explaining to recruits the workings of the Mills. An interesting point about the Mills, is that many people dont realise the explosive power it releases. When I was in my 20s, a friend of mine was a scientist at the ERDE(Explosive Research Development Establishment) in Hertfordshire.This place was used for testing ordnance and on site there were huge bunkers that had a macer top to them to allow concussion to escape, we saw him set up a remote controlled Mills and then retreated to a safe area of 400yds, One of the guys pushed the detonator and the whole ground shook, all of a sudden a large chunk of hot shrapnel landed 6 feet from where we were standing, 400 YARDS AWAY, we were all shocked, even my friend was taken aback as he had blown up tons of ordnance including Mills bombs and none had ever got past the macer before, It just shows how powerful the Mills was, especially in a confined space. But his job was a dangerous one , he even advised on terrorist bombs found in NI and abroad and regularly travelled to different places and was top security rated, what a job to have, except if one of the bombs he was testing did,nt go off, he had to go back in to see why not

• Upvote 2

That unfinished Mills is quite a rarity, I,ve never seen one before, even the filler hole has,nt been tapped with threads, or the top drilled for the striker. I would say that came direct from the foundry but I,m not sure if these were sent away to the armouries like that to have all the remaining tooling done

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall
On 27/02/2016 at 17:24, Davejb said:

That unfinished Mills is quite a rarity, I,ve never seen one before, even the filler hole has,nt been tapped with threads, or the top drilled for the striker. I would say that came direct from the foundry but I,m not sure if these were sent away to the armouries like that to have all the remaining tooling done

I think it's been "borrowed" from the foundry.. ;)

• Field Marshall
3 hours ago, Davejb said:

You mean to tell me this is proceeds of ................Oh dear, oh dear oh dear

Like most of our "souvenirs" ;)

• Field Marshall

Getting the wife to organise them by date and then manufacturer.. ;)

mills bombs.jpg

• Upvote 2

Oh she,s a bit of a BOMBSHELL is,nt she, ha ha , I crack myself up sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Has she got one in her front pocket,or is she just pleased to be playing with them :D.

:grenade:

• Major General
7 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

Has she got one in her front pocket,or is she just pleased to be playing with them :D.

Probably the one in Lenny's collection...

• Upvote 1

I reckon shes a spy, she,s trying to smuggle them out in her bra, she,s only a 32A normally!!!!

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Waffenamt said:

Probably the one in Lenny's collection...

Fnarr Fnarr.... :D

• Upvote 1