Can I make you cry?

Lenny

• 1 year later...

Just watched the film.  I believe that I shall suffer from emotional damage for a bit.

Another cause for emotional pain:  I have a "Golden State Arms" catalog dated 1958.  This outfit sold military firearms to swords & suits of armor.  The incredibly low prices are almost painful. Example: US Model 1911 pistol manufactured by Springfield Arsenal--$65.  A M1911A1 by Union Switch & Signal--$49. There's a whole page of Webley revolvers, priced $14.95 to the high price of $27.50!!   With prices so low, surplus military rifles were bought and most converted to hunting rifles by getting rid of all the military sights & hand guards,  Then holes were drilled in them for scopes.  Now the price for rifles in original military shape are very expensive, while the many butchered hunting rifles are numerous & cheap.

Does anyone have a time machine to loan me for a few days?

• Upvote 2

I can remember my mom telling me stories of my uncle bringing home German helmets and bayonets and all sorts of stuff from the rubbish heap in Braintree Mass back in the 30's and '40's. They had an M16 painted silver with flowers in in it. Course none of this made it to when I was born. :P

• Upvote 2

My Dad sent home a superb volume of Hitlers "Mein Kampf?"  a big orange covered hardback book (about 16ins long x 10ins wide with about 60 - 80 full pages written in old german script/ text, and full of it seems original 10 x 8 inch / 6ins x 4ins photos./ possibly 30 - 40 images of Hitler at Rallies, his henchmen etc....After all my Dad went through fighting for 3 years in the heat of the Western Desert, through Sicily and into Italy....then re-called back to the UK readying for Normandy, fighting all the way through France, Belgium, Holland and into Germany...Finding many items maybe in bombed houses?...sending them home.....and me the biggest **** of all selling it to an antiques dealer when I was 12 years old for........10/- shillings / todays price -----25 pence....Sorry Dad, I am ashamed at doing this...!!!

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, what you may have sold was a wedding gift for a high ranking officer, even an SS officer, they were also personalised, which could mean it was signed by either Himmler or Hitler, they would have been placed in a wooden case with either the SS or Army, motif engraved in the wood, they are rare as hen teeth and worth a great deal of money if all complete, book and wooden case

• Upvote 3

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for your information, yes it was signed inside the front hardback cover under the photo of Hitler, it certainly looked like his scribble as Hitlers signature, as it was in German, I had no idea what it said as I was so young, but my Dad probably found this in a house of a High Ranking SS or Army Officer and took it as a memento......OHHHHHHHHHH....What have I done!!!

Thank You Very Much Dave,,,.!!!

I think it had on the front of the book /orange hardback cover.... just a gold swastika ?

• Upvote 1

A quote that has stuck in my memory:  "You know that you are getting old when your dreams are replaced by regret."

My memory is filled with all the stuff (militaria) that I have given away or totally ruined as a wee lad playing with it.

However, Bill in VA, I am still dreaming of a $50 Union Switch & Signal M1911A1.

• Upvote 1

Exactly Boonie...I said this over 30 years ago......"When you get old regrets replace your dreams"....It's right...!!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the hardback cover of the Hitler book I sold for 25pence...when I was a boy and stupid...!!!

IMG_6411.jpg

• Upvote 1