Vickers Irish M27

Afrikakorpsrat64

I've added another M27 to the collection. This one I am very happy to have as it has nearly all of its Black/Green paint. Sadly the liner has seen better days. 

20200407_095431.jpg

20200407_095437.jpg

20200407_095445.jpg

20200407_095501.jpg

20200407_095531.jpg

20200407_095558.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Nice catch, perhaps you could restore the liner vith some vintage leather? I don't think in this case it would detract from the piece?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Nice catch, perhaps you could restore the liner vith some vintage leather? I don't think in this case it would detract from the piece?

I had thought of that @Richard Auld as I can get a replacement liner band and reuse the pads, I also have Brass rivets and washers for the retainers, but I may just leave it as is.

• Like 1

I picked some of old leather scraps out of the skip last week from a cobblers shop I think. I was thinking just do the minimum keep the liner just bridge the broken parts with a scrap. I can send you some but it will come as a letter this time as the post pulled my pants down last time! I will post up some pictures later if you want.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but does anyone know of manufacturers of replica Irish Republican Vickers M-27 helmets?

• Upvote 1

The leather bits! The larger part near the keybord is soft leather like a WW2 liner the rest quite hard.

Rich

CIMG2247.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 14/06/2020 at 06:04, werwolf12 said:

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but does anyone know of manufacturers of replica Irish Republican Vickers M-27 helmets?

@werwolf12, personally I don't know of any makers of reproductions of the M27 Vickers helmet. But I wouldn't put anything past the Chinese lol. Most of the Irish front badges you see are reproductions, originals are quite rare and very pricey. I saw one badge, but it had sold for 400 euro's , I have been told thats cheap. I am personally attached to these Irish M27s, as its part of my heritage being 2nd Generation Irish here in the USA. 

• Upvote 1

Same here! (5th generation) Although superficially they resemble German M-16/18, there are differences, weight, rivets, and liner.  I love the way the side lugs are somewhat exaggerated.  They are extremely rare given that most were melted-down or buried, that would account for their expense.  On a an interesting side note, Taoiseach Eamon de Velera was only one of two statemen that signed a letter of condolence on the death of Hitler.  I am not making a moral judgement about it, after all the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Brilliant collection of helmets Tony, thanks for showing us and I hope you feel better.

Best to you.....Ian

• Upvote 1

Oh Tony, I would have a field day repairing that, an old bit of leather aged and blended in, it would look the part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

restored these over the years, latest one with the rivets showing, all original liners and chin straps. I know the paint should be a little darker but it works none the less, badges are all real current issue but they look right, 

vickers trio.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dee May said:

restored these over the years, latest one with the rivets showing, all original liners and chin straps. I know the paint should be a little darker but it works none the less, badges are all real current issue but they look right, 

vickers trio.jpg

They look great! I have a post on here somewhere of the one I restored. Using the orig. I had the same issue with the paint, i will mix my own and use a sprayer in the future.

I used a Liner band from Stefan at PFLCO. And stamped the T.Smith etc, but used the orig. pads. And used the orig. chin strap hardware on the Repo German WW1 strap

20220814_083003[1].jpg

20220814_083013[1].jpg

20220814_083031[1].jpg

• Like 1

that looks very well and from the one I have seen in the museum at Collins barracks your colour is spot on. very nice indeed. I collect helmets but I love the Vickers its so unique 

• Thanks 1

this might be a better photo, sorry if I post things twice finding My round computers

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dee May said:

this might be a better photo, sorry if I post things twice finding My round computers

@Dee Mayno worries at all. Welcome to the forum. I collect early Irish when I can find it. And also German WW2 Tropical and DAK items when I can afford them! Which is not often.lol

I have some more Irish stuff ww2 and up to present day I will post when I get some photos ,some I leave as they are others like the Vickers I restore if for no other reason just to prevent them from total decay someone once told me we are only looking after this stuff for the next generation talk soon Dee

• Like 1

And i like those emblems. Show them more closely, in both side? Thanks!

030.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, val said:

@Afrikakorpsrat64 , i like that railway i see there in the background :)

Care to make a separate thread with a nice images?

Its changed a bit since that photo. I will share some more photos next weekend!

• Thanks 1

Hi lads just a few more Irish helmets I acquired over the years Mk 4 on the right was my own service helmet

irish helmets 2.jpg

Irish helmets 1.jpg

My owen.jpg

• Thanks 1