Vickers Irish M27

Afrikakorpsrat64

42 minutes ago, Dee May said:

I should say the one with the net

Those are great @Dee May. I need to add an Eastern Command MK II to my collection.

I am trying to acquire the correct rivets for the Vickers helmet as I get to restore the odd one for a friend or two. they are 15-16mm heads very hard to source I am trying boat rivets at the moment but it hard trying to get them right. anyone got any ideas ?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Dee May said:

I am trying to acquire the correct rivets for the Vickers helmet as I get to restore the odd one for a friend or two. they are 15-16mm heads very hard to source I am trying boat rivets at the moment but it hard trying to get them right. anyone got any ideas ?

I bought these awhile back when I restored mine, and your right they where very hard to find. Sadly like a dumbass I didnt record where i bought them from so I am searching for the place. When and if I find it, Ill post it here. I had 4 left over, I have saved one to use as a guid(They are a bit long so I had to cut them down) I have 3 extra that I am sending to a friend in Ireland, I need to get those in the mail to him! But stay tuned, and please post here if you find a source for them as well. Cheers!

20220821_075127.jpg

20220821_075136.jpg

20220821_075257.jpg

20220821_075310.jpg

• Thanks 1

yours look good and seem less hassle to work with. I Could have left one side smooth like the inside or liner side  but trying out things just trial and error 

• Upvote 1

Yes, Stefan from Prairie Flower leather comp. is a good guy, and will make what you need. He didnt know where to get the copper studs though. I get my liner bands from him. Great quality stuff.

Cheers @val

• Thanks 1

Here is an interesting Original variation on the stud stamping. This helmet was stripped of paint when i got is. Liner is in it, but I can see glue repairs. I may restore the outside finish, havent decided. The other one pictured is original dark green paint. Hard to find in orig. state, the Badge on it is Just a converted Orig. cap badge(not sure when it was made)

20220821_103306.jpg

20220821_103339.jpg

20220821_103357.jpg

20220821_103422.jpg

20220821_103500.jpg

20220821_103906.jpg

20220821_103917.jpg

• Thanks 1

that guy must have been having a bad day or thinking of his mother in law as it is a deep stamp, the helmet was issued to civil defence looking at the number and also looks like on of the last lot going by the first number . the badge looks good for a reproduction, but that is a nice helmet is it your own ? and did you see the helmets on ebay ?

• Thanks 1

ye the biggest ones I came across (two peace ) which they are are 10mm , the originals are 16mm vey hard to get

12 minutes ago, Dee May said:

that guy must have been having a bad day or thinking of his mother in law as it is a deep stamp, the helmet was issued to civil defence looking at the number and also looks like on of the last lot going by the first number . the badge looks good for a reproduction, but that is a nice helmet is it your own ? and did you see the helmets on ebay ?

Yes, these are all mine. Including the restored one. I have owned at least 10 of these over the years, 4 at any given time. I've just sold a civil one recently.

14 minutes ago, Dee May said:

Most on Ebay are way overpriced form what I have seen.

1 minute ago, Dee May said:

ye even the Mk2 eastern command. I would not pay that for them

Sometimes you can luck out an get a deal on Ebay, but I think most of those sellers on there have people bidding up their stuff.

ye with out a doubt it can be a scam. when I was in the Army there was thousands of those Mk 2s still in stores that was in the 80s we used to take home and give them to the kids to play with. if I could only get some of them back

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dee May said:

ye with out a doubt it can be a scam. when I was in the Army there was thousands of those Mk 2s still in stores that was in the 80s we used to take home and give them to the kids to play with. if I could only get some of them back

I hear that!