Identify this helmet?

Hi,

I'm more in to Land Rovers than military collecting as such (though I do have a few military Land Rovers), but I've just joined this forum hoping to get some information on a helmet....

Way back when I was a kid (1970's) I found this helmet when I was collecting for a Scout jumble sale. I thought it was cool, so I bought it before the sale even started. I just rediscovered it, cleaning out my office, and thought I'd try to find out what it actually is - my teenage mind saw it as "paratrooper helmet" so that's what I've called it ever since. Google seems to think its an "airborne" helmet, and the markings suggest 1943.

Any thoughts? Is it collectable, or should I just throw it in the back of my British Army Series III Land Rover to add interest?

Inside.thumb.jpg.da552a3c520671475835d2146c5015fa.jpgMark.thumb.jpg.15ee72ea7e2f61c8af5affd4e5a17b5b.jpgOutside.thumb.jpg.994878ff074d79fd97f5575718618c19.jpg

• Thanks 1

Warb please do not throw this in the back of the old Rover for aesthetics these are quite rare in there own right and are highly collectible what you have there is as you thought a 1943 dated Airborne helmet or otherwise known as a  Helmet Steel Airborne Troops ( HSAT ) Mark I.. This particular example was produced by ( BMB ) Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd.. of Dagenham, England whom manufactured war time helmet bodies and liners from 1939 through 1945..It is a lovely example I would be quite chuffed as you Brits would say to have this in my collection...

Kind regards Mark K

Edited by Mark K

Thanks for your help Mark. Sadly, rather than the easy "space creation" method of putting it in the shed, I now have to decide what to do with it!

Brit para should get you some good bits for your Rovers.

You have just reminded me I have a couple of boxes of LR spares for a German pal that is also an enthusiast.

I just got rid of mine in a trade.

What about an auction?

2 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Brit para should get you some good bits for your Rovers.

You have just reminded me I have a couple of boxes of LR spares for a German pal that is also an enthusiast.

I just got rid of mine in a trade.

What about an auction?

I have no idea what it's worth (I guess, as always, "what someone will pay"!) so I need to investigate before I decide what to do with it. Forgive me if I'm not supposed to discuss such things on this forum - some sites are against "lowering the tone" with talk of money - but where is the best place to sell such things, or get an idea of its value?

There's also the vague possibility of starting another collection (don't tell my wife!) because my grandfather's Air Raid Warden equipment (and the British Empire Medal he was awarded) are still lurking in the family home, but that's the other side of the planet from where I live. One day that will be an interesting clear-out - it's like a living museum, there are still Ration Books in the drawers of the kitchen table!

Warb I have just recently watched a couple of these 1943 dated Mk I HSAT's  sell at auction and know of another  for sale in very decent condition for  £1,500 ...I feel  this particular example would sell for somewhere between £700 and £900 if placed on E-Bay...and possibly more ...

Regards Mark K

I agree with Mark, although there is some damage these are getting rare and its in decent condition with a part cammo, so this would sell pretty well, how ever, I would be inclinded to keep it for a while, these are going up in price and as your one has the early type of chin supports and liners it could be worth much more in times to come

Thanks guys! I'll have to do some thinking and decide what to do....... I've owned it for around 45 years so I guess there's no rush!