Desert Storm! picture of a young and stupid man!

Richard Auld

Guys,

Just found a picture of me back then, it is a bit the worse for ware due to dampness as I have never looked after my stuff.

One forgets that as we get older we are too a part of history!

Rich

me.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not Stupid mate, you did your bit and good on you, but did you have to be so bloody good looking as well, thats taking the micky"!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Now that is something I have never been accused of, just found some more up in the hobby flat. I will post them up as some people may be interested in the hardware. Just not this week as we are a bit busy just now.

• Upvote 1

Great photo @Richard Auldyou served, and bless you for doing so! My dream was to be like my dad, a US Marine, I never made it, made some stupid mistake young in life. I regret them now. All who have served have my respect!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Great photo @Richard Auldyou served, and bless you for doing so! My dream was to be like my dad, a US Marine, I never made it, made some stupid mistake young in life. I regret them now. All who have served have my respect!

A man that has made no mistake, makes nothing? At least that is what I learned in the military, seems you know that already!

Respect is earned, regardless of what you have as a background and I am sure you are a decent human being and as such you have my respect, seems only fair! I like that you quote your youth and that you have moved on, what more can one ask for?

Rich

• Like 1

Guys, some more pics I found in amongst my German stuff!

This is in Saudi before the off, we did some training with the US Marine Corp and they introduced us to their weapon systems and showed us what we could expect in support. We did a bit of shooting with the Saudi Airforce, USMC AV8 Harriers, and Apache's/Cobras. This series shows us in the desert marking for them with the LTM. The first picture is of the USMC Air OP plane OV10 I think, sadly some of the crews from them that hosted us were killed shot down we later heard. We had no way to verify that then. I should really look it up.

Some of me practicing my Top Gun pose!

gulf11.jpg

gulf12.jpg

gulf13.jpg

gulf14.jpg

gulf15.jpg

gulf16.jpg

gulf17.jpg

gulf18.jpg

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Like 1

More, first bit is training again, Bde exercise, firing the GV or Giant Viper to give it the respect due! We were issued lots of new stuff and had a brief spell at Camp 4 as a break from the desert then an OP course was conducted at Camp Grey. That is the Christmas dinner with our 1 alcohol free beer!

gulf19.jpg

gulf110.jpg

gulf111.jpg

gulf112.jpg

gulf113.jpg

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Like 1

Then it was time to get the job done, last pics in camp in front of the PADs Land Rover, a quick pic of the Warrior crew, Me with the issue 'sex pest' glasses, John 'head' Archibald, Capt Jullian Free (recently retired as a General), John 'Smarty' Smart and lastly 'Malcy' Malcolm. Our Ferret scout car that used to be mine as the forward observation party had a FV432 for the officer and the Ferret for the 'FOO Ack', ie, me. This changed when we were issued a Warrior Command variant or FV 511 complete with the cannon that does not feature in the OP variant that 4 Regt RA got for Christmas. My favorite shot is the one the Boss took being as he was in the right of the turret, of the Lynx's TOW helicopter shooting through the ranks of the tanks of C Squadron Scots Dragoon Guards. Always an avid collector me with my AK one of which still functioned after being run over by a Challenger Tank when we took some prisoners.

gulf114.jpg

gulf115.jpg

gulf116.jpg

gulf117.jpg

gulf118.jpg

gulf119.jpg

gulf120.jpg

gulf121.jpg

gulf122.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great Images Rich,

You done your very best for Peace and Freedom in the desperate situation you were confronted with (My Dear Mate ....lost his son at 21 on a land mine).......and I as many appreciate your combat......against a wicked enemy!

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

It would appear that only one crew member of an OV10 was killed the others shot down being captured, still one too many!

It was a long time ago and I can't remember the people sadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_combat_losses_of_United_States_military_aircraft_since_the_Vietnam_War

Rich

• Thanks 1