Metal Stamp?

Aroc0001

I believe WWII.  Was gifted from a distant relative.

Would like to know what this was used for and possibly how it was used.

5F4F7F8C-8B38-4D3E-A2F2-7263B1AA3620.jpeg

6F3D4D7E-3494-4891-A246-1B0AAF07200D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello,

I think they are obviously metal stamps possibly for the chassis/ engine number on newly made vehicles, or for gun parts to establish the - Makers mark?

Let us know on MCN what you find out?

Best to you.....Desert Rat

Hi Aroc001, 

I can only give you perspective from a British view point. We had similar stamp sets during my service time. They resided with the Battery Quarter Master Sergeant (BQMS) at the lowest level of issue. In barracks they were used to stamp serial numbers/vehicle registration numbers on to important/expensive equipment. Things would have a habit of 'walking' if you did not keep an eye on them and if such things were marked this discouraged theft. Also chains and lifting tackle, etc, had to be annually inspected and this was recorded on metal tags attached to the item. Often a serial numbered item was marked in an awkward place so the number was stamped in a more accessible point. In the field seldom used but could be used to stamp some temporary ID tags for example if some one lost theirs? With regards weapons we never used them on metal parts as they were already marked but on wooden or plastic parts such as machine gun butts or ancillary items I have seen stamps. The armourers would take issue if you deface an existing serial number, it is possible they used them though in their official capacity when changing out knackered parts on weapon systems? Hope this helps.

Rich

• 10 months later...