US M1917 A1

Afrikakorpsrat64

One of my favorites. And one with a somber history. This M1917 A1 belonged to Vernon J Cole, He joined the US Army before Pearl harbor attack. he was with the 47th Construction engineers, and was killed in action on April 6,1944 in the Marshall Islands. 

20200925_111717.jpg

20200925_111725.jpg

20200925_111738.jpg

20200925_111753.jpg

20200925_111639.jpg

20200925_111654.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-25 114945.png

• Upvote 1

Many Thanks Tony for showing us this on MCN, we somehow have forgotten a little what the U.S Forces had to continue to suffer in the Pacific....horrendous!

But they all showed the complete actions of supreme courage and bravery against this fanatical enemy......and WON....!!!

To Them ....We Also Remember...!!!

Best to you....Ian

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Nice helmet is that his name and number on the leather, can't quite make it out?

Thanks Rich, yes he signed his name in several places as well as serial #. This is one of the few items I have that I was able to trace the owner.

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

That's really great that you can trace the owner, it will be good to let us know how you get on......Best Wishes & Good Luck!

Ian

• 6 months later...

The American troops were not fond of these "Doughboy" helmets, and they were not well made, until the helmets that we no came along which protected the heads much better, and they we able to use them for all sorts of things, including cooking as there were to parts to the helmets,, plus it was one of the best helmets for troops, lightweight if they used only the inner part 

• Thanks 1