Clay/enameled pot

Afrikakorpsrat64

Anyone seen one of these before? Was told it was for medical use/ held salve or ointment. Real or not it holds my eggs well,lol. I like it . The jar is well made.

20201016_135410[1].jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello Tony,

It looks more to me than a jar from the Western Desert, from the palm tree and the other images....Really not sure, but I hope you find the answer to this....Please let us know.

Best as always to you.......Ian/ Desert Rat

• Thanks 1

Tony , never seen anything with that sort of marking, I have a grey one somewhere with the normal 3 letter code on it. They have taken to re-firing porcelain over here with more attractive markings. also post war they re-fired stuff to cover markings.

I must say I am not keen on it but it is a bit small to see and at the end of the day it is useful!

Best

Rich 

Edit. have you seen any others in books or fora?

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

We have had the same pots in the UK for over 150? odd years and usually the makers stamp is on the base sometimes initialled/ signed ......So does this pot/ jar of your have any base markings?

Best Wishes.....Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys. It's my opinion that this is most likely a novelty. Until I find any other evidence of one like this. The "Palm and swastika " was basically a "non" official symbol of the DAK. But I don't recall seeing any manufacturers using it in their makers mark. As it is though, I bought it with this in mind and just liked the jar and it looks good mixed in the display. It also didnt cost alot. 😁😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At least Tony, as you say......"I can put my eggs in it"........Looks good also, nice kitchen ornament, same as I have I like the old pots, got some nice character!

Best to you...Ian