Found this SS Dagger

Adamrepa

Was cleaning out a home I recently purchased to renovate and found this SS dagger.  I cannot get it out of the scabbard, and I’m afraid to put too much effort into getting it out and possibly damaging the handle.  Any thoughts, suggestions, estimated value?  Thank you

3C105E3B-DDBB-4AE3-97D7-9464CED9D2C9.jpeg

77A2203B-D12F-4CD2-8B11-12E8F1352414.jpeg

F6A310A0-EB4F-480C-99EF-0DD8D53F99AC.jpeg

540E68DB-9C2F-4574-B1AD-886F4DFF0E49.jpeg

AEB3BAA9-35B3-4419-9694-7381916D90BE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Hello To You,

Welcome to MCN. Great Item to find and thanks for showing us. I am sure some members on here can help you with the problem to get the knife out of the scabbard......Good Luck......And show us the blade when hopefully removed.

Best to you.....Desert Rat

I don't know what to recommend except what I would try myself. I would give it a good dose of WD40 between the cross guard and the throat of the scabbard, perhaps standing it vertical to prevent the WD40 getting onto the handle. I would leave it overnight and then try to use a thin blade of bit of steel to lever between the cross guard and the throat on the reverse side? I don't think I would try to remove the nut at the top although that would allow you to strip off all the parts of the handle and give you a better look into the scabbard?  Value will not be that great as it sounds like it is rusted into the scabbard. Nice find all the same and good luck!

Best

Rich

• Like 2

On 18/10/2020 at 18:40, Richard Auld said:

I don't know what to recommend except what I would try myself. I would give it a good dose of WD40 between the cross guard and the throat of the scabbard, perhaps standing it vertical to prevent the WD40 getting onto the handle. I would leave it overnight and then try to use a thin blade of bit of steel to lever between the cross guard and the throat on the reverse side? I don't think I would try to remove the nut at the top although that would allow you to strip off all the parts of the handle and give you a better look into the scabbard?  Value will not be that great as it sounds like it is rusted into the scabbard. Nice find all the same and good luck!

Best

Rich

Rich,

it turned out to be in pretty Good shape.  Check it out

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Well that is good news, looks very good! How did you do it in the end?

Rich

Took it to a gunsmith.  He took off the lower part by loosening the oxidized screw w vinegar.  He did a wonderful job.  He did secure down the handle w Small zip ties as to not move it. Wasn’t crazy about that but nonetheless a careful move.  It’s a solid handle, but I’ve left the ties on.  If you think that’s a bad idea please let me know.  Thanks

• Upvote 1

Hello Adam,

That's great news, as I am sure with an item like this it could have been rusted / corroded to hell once removed ( I think though it's stainless blade?)....but it...Looks Superb & Well Done!

Best to you.......Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Glad that you got it sorted, but you need to be careful with these zip ties, are these metal, plastic etc some plastic ones can affect old wood, metal can leave heavy scars in old wood, Its not really an ideal fix, show them on hear, that way we can see whats been done

• Like 3

I thought the gunsmith did a fantastic job and the scabbard was still in great shape inside.  He documented it all with pictures if someone was to ask me How and why.

Edited by Adamrepa
  • Like 1

He has done a good job, I remember when we had 'gunsmiths'!

Thanks for posting the process, may be useful for others in the future.

You can loose the cable ties as Dave already points out, I think as they aren't doing anything unless the handle broke apart?

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld

Hello Adam,

When I go to France and visit the "Vide Greniers" boot sales they are many kinds of WW2 German daggers for sale, either lost, left behind or swapped for wine and food. But I had a chance to buy the same as you have 10 years ago in a small village boot fair in La Gorche - Aubenas, for 150 Euros complete with scabbard and in excellent condition....but I decided to put my money into an original WW2 Sten Gun ( Dropped to the SOE and FFI by parachutage) for 500Euros, and I have fired it...Superb!

Now I wish that I have bought the dagger as well, but if customs at Dover had found it....Big jobby for me!

Well done to you....Desert Rat /Ian

thumbnail_2007-11-08 08.16.00-1.jpg

thumbnail_2007-11-08 08.16.00-2.jpg

• Like 1

Great find! Glad you got it apart. I'm with Richard and lose the zip ties, even if it's holding the handle together it is what it is.

• Like 1