WW2 German boatswain bosun whistle eagle over swastika

len mcdowell

I recently acquired three German cadet boatswain ( bosun ) whistles. They are the classical German design and in excellent shape. Too excellent ?? Could this be a replica ?? This one was bought in 1978. I  doubt it was a replica made back then. I am selling it off and then the next two in succession. However the other two are rarer and stamped more fully. I wanted to see if this was the right place. My email is len@thewhistlegallery.com - any offers welcome.

DSCN1031.JPG

DSCN1033.png

• Upvote 1

Hello Len,

Welcome to MCN....We hope you find this site very interesting and informative.

Sorry to say I know nothing about these items, but some members may be able to assist you.

Thanks for showing us

Best to you ...Desert Rat

• Upvote 1

Sorry to say, but i think this is a fake, the whole thing is wrong, The wings are all over the place, half done, plus being a naval item theres no M which being naval it shourd have. As for when it was made German items were being faked as early as late 1945-46 and ever since

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the help. Great site. I am weak on military whistles.  What kind of M would it be ? Is this one with the circle ??

DSCN1084.JPG

DSCN1085.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Len,

I have done a bit of research.....and I have to agree with davejb, poorly made fakes as the stamps are part missing -/ makers marks - not in form with the original Bosuns whistle. Sorry like us all we need to do some in depth research before we buy. Google it and have a look.

Don't give up we all make mistakes in buying ( and I was the same) as there are so many fakes on the market today, most items especially medals etc!

Good Luck & Best to you!

Desert Rat

thanks, I really appreciate the help, they came in a group lot. What a super web page !! Thanks again !!

• Upvote 1

Hello Len,

Good to hear from you, as I said I have bought a few if not many "Fakes" and lost money, but yes you have done well and tried...sometimes we win and lose, but keep collecting and we hope on MCN you can send us more images from your collection.

Best to you.......Desert Rat/ Ian

The picture below is a typical KM property stamp, here on porcelain (pic credit to pirateslair.com)

Got to go to work will pick this up tomorrow!

Best

Rich

km.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The RZM stamp in the circle was used but not by the navy it was for most party departments and that did include the SS again, who had nothing to do with the Navy.

I don't know for sure but these are probably Bundeswehr Marine whistles that have been altered?

Best

Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another stab if OK to ask, genuine article ? I surely appreciate the advice and even the criticism !! It is a new area of whistle collecting for me.

d73afa31-a5ef-4aa2-8c17-ac7000f30dfe.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

the picture is not the best, this has a chance as I am sure many things were commercially commissioned during the period but a better picture would help. What do you think about it and where did you get it? It appears to have a bit of age about it but like I say the picture could be better?

Best

Rich

Well its a period item and as Rich said it could have a chance , is there another motive on the other side, I think I remember seeing something before like this and it had a motive on both sides and it was classed as being a real item, but its not to say they were all embossed both sides

• Like 1

sorry for the poor pictures, I am looking before I leap this time around ! The other side says A.Strausss Berlin ( yes there are three Ss )

1b4c7fa6-3ff6-467a-a146-ac7000f44386.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ien,

you might not want to post KKK related propaganda on here, you could have cropped that picture to exclude the KKK shti so I now wonder what you are about?

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, I agree. I specifically cropped out the KKK references, but I couldn't post my picture without a URL, so I posted the EBAY advertisement for a running auction that is going right now. My apologies ! Now that you point this out, I see what you mean and it sure causes doubt about the whistle and emblem also. How do I pull the picture ? 

Top right of your post are 3 dots, click on them, edit option delete the picture, save it to your desk top first and you can crop out the rubbish then repost it.

Rich

I reported the photo to have it taken down because the delete option wasn't there as a "guest posting" -- Thanks!

Now... the photo cropped.

esc.jpg

much better mate! I can't judge the whistle or its markings but if the people selling it are KKK members/sympathizers  then even if it were 100% correct made of gold and for 50 pence I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole?

Best

Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

two very good whistle blogs though !! If you want to learn about whistles. However this site is a gold mine for us whistle geeks.

So here is a cool one on a more positive note. A boatswain whistle with engraving that appears to be the genuine article. Bought from the massive Robert Benner collection. Number 520 of over 700 whistles. 

Medal of honor recipient Abraham DeSomes U.S.S. Utah Vera Cruz Mexico April 1914 

https://amp.google-wiki.info/6338562/1/abraham-desomer.html

DSCN2009.JPG

DSCN2010.JPG

• Like 1