FZ76(V1 'Doodlebug' parts)

Waffenamt

Sorry to you all, I should have course mentioned that it did explode and I think it killed 2 cows, when I visited the site some time ago, there was just rusty parts on the frame etc sticking out of the ground, but I think I would need a digger to get it out....No one knows its there only my mate who's Dad owned the farm and land back in 1944 when it came down. I may try and get permission and dig for it as there are parts everywhere when we searched the area where it came down.

Image Copyright of Ian R Bridle  www.edenbridgetown.com

012.jpg

Sorry to you all, I should have course mentioned that it did explode and I think it killed 2 cows, when I visited the site some time ago, there was just rusty parts on the frame etc sticking out of the ground, but I think I would need a digger to get it out....No one knows its there only my mate who's Dad owned the farm and land back in 1944 when it came down. I may try and get permission and dig for it as there are parts everywhere when we searched the area where it came down.

Image Copyright of Ian R Bridle  www.edenbridgetown.com

IMGP4064.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Dave,

I am going over soon to see and dig this one in the woods near Edenbridge, I am sure it was programmed to hit Churchill's house near to me at Chartwell, Tragically and sadly one blew up on a children's home (at Crockham Hill - 5 miles from edenbridge) and killed nearly all the children, I think only 3-4 were survived. There is a memorial Plaque in Edenbridge Churchyard where they are all buried and named...This V1 I am certain was meant to hit Churchill's Home...as this one was only just 3 miles away...????

WW 1 & 2 PHOTOS FOR STORY 030.png

Edited by Desert Rat
correction

IMAGE ABOVE SOLE COPYRIGHT OF - www.edenbridgetown.com  - STRICTLY NO COPYING WITHOUT PERMISSION

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2017 at 19:08, Desert Rat said:

IMAGE ABOVE SOLE COPYRIGHT OF - www.edenbridgetown.com  - STRICTLY NO COPYING WITHOUT PERMISSION

Edited by Bill in VA
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

Thanks for your question....My Brother designed this about 10 years ago who owns it, when I started writing war stories for the website  www.edenbridgetown.com  where I was born and live. It's a website to do with local events, supporting the local charities (free) and advertising local businesses on it....Thanks ...Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat

Sorry,

Yes I forgot to add the Sole Copyright to the V1 image, when I added it, so I added it after....IanB

• 4 years later...

Waffenamt, you have some great items.

I've got a few little bits that I'll latch on to this thread.

My best bit is this rather crusty elevator from a V1 that got shot down at Singleton, Sussex. With it is the original incident card relating to this particular V1 that provides the background story.

10..thumb.jpg.23e0284a33f5648580dc49c013a2c94d.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.a0cad3951c36d5daa13ab1f63481480f.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.92a88dd99909f6d2ef629cb90970593f.jpg

I got these years ago from a well-known aviation archaeologist/author.

Looking at a satellite image of the area today, I reckon the crater has been filled in, but just visible, circled in this fuzzy image.

13.thumb.jpg.495046c1315a01d19879824c7852e415.jpg

Other items I have are a couple of V1 fuzes.

14.thumb.jpg.4248f0d8dd028b93f402eceaca12764f.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.3d60b0e57844cd604cbadc9ee68fcafc.jpg

The 80A was known as an ‘Always Fuze’ and should detonate the V1 no matter what way up it struck, even if it went in backwards. The Germans really wanted these things to go off with a nose switch, a belly switch, impact fuze and a time-delay fuze. Those Always fuzes when the British tested them dropping them on to a hard surface from an inch or so was enough to make them go off. They had to cope with a bit of turbulence in flight, but those fighter boys that flipped them using a wing tip were really pushing their luck! 

16.thumb.jpg.1732de732589225e0b6a595b3b0e32b3.jpg

All those fuzes, yet some still didn’t go off!

And they still turn up!

These pictures were taken of a V.1 warhead recovered at Wilp in the Netherlands in 2020.

thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.1bd11fada8abf211e1ce817e78286147.jpg

As soon as they starting to excavate the level of toxic fumes was too high to work without protective clothing.

This was in amazing condition, especially considering the warhead was made of wood, (the Germans running low on metal late in the war), and the paint was as new, complete with stencilled writing.

18.thumb.jpg.48d6d9534fe3f6998aa70eddc176c352.jpg

The BD guys could read what type of filling it had (154A). It was fitted with two 80A’s fuzes, and no ELAZ106. 

One interesting fact about the V1 fuzes – they were activated by the pins being pulled out on launch. The Special Operations Executive had 100 fuzes made that looked identical, but would explode instantaneously the pin was pulled, thereby destroying the V1, the launch ramp and the crew. It is not known however, if they managed to get any into the German’s supply chain.

As I mentioned in another posting about V2s, I like to look out for previously unseen photos as part of my collection. - These are some that maybe of poor quality and lacking in detail, but still capture a moment in time. – Just wish I knew the, who, where and when, as when there is writing on the back, it doesn’t always help!

P1180193.thumb.JPG.a118f48b519cee2969d60ca193cce8c0.JPG

P1180192.thumb.JPG.b626661af3901d35535ab41bf1b8ae0a.JPG

P1180190_edited.thumb.jpg.1b6107f5e03b85fc03942c4ae8dbfed5.jpg

P1180186_edited.thumb.jpg.cfecc6506795087fea97adee9ebe7698.jpg

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack the thread or prattle on so much - Just thought nice to keep all this V1 collecting stuff in one place.

• Like 2

• Major General

Fantastic Chris. :)  The more pics and info always welcome mate