FZ76(V1 'Doodlebug' parts)

Waffenamt

• Major General

After seeing that ridiculous priced V-1 Rudder on ebay,i thought a show and tell Sunday in order.

Here is a selection of various parts from my collection for your perusal.

The Odemeter from the front of the missile,Various fuzes. There are two examples of the ELAZ 106 fuze.

17Bm and VZ80 fuzes.

Also pictured is a piece of petrol pipe for the infamous sounding Argus pulse-detonation engine.

The odometer was set to cut off the fuel supply after a certain number of revolutions. Mine is the best example ive ever seen and cost a fortune!

The ELAZ fuzes are undergoing restoration and are missing outer cases at the moment.

The rudder shown has the steering lug attached unlike that ludicrously priced one on fleabay

DSCF0150.JPG

DSCF0151.JPG

DSCF0152.JPG

DSCF0153.JPG

DSCF0154.JPG

DSCF0155.JPG

DSCF0157.JPG

• Upvote 4

• Major General

The rings on the two fuzes above were attached to the launching rail or aircraft pylon by wires which pulled and activated the fuzes on launch.

The bottom threads are were the gaines attached(Penthrite wax filling)

The collection graced by this smashing booklet i was given when i left my last firm.

DSCF0158.JPG

DSCF0161.JPG

DSCF0163.JPG

DSCF0164.JPG

DSCF0165.JPG

DSCF0166.JPG

DSCF0167.JPG

Edited by Waffenamt
typo as usual
  • Upvote 6

• Major General

24 views and not one comment? Is there a problem seeing the pics guys?

• Upvote 3

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I knew a guy at Darwen 20 +years ago who had parts from one that I believe came down on the moors outside there.He had a fantastic collection of POW stuff from that area.Dave if I remember rightly,lovely fella,it would be nice to know if he's still around.

Guest Fred Karno's Army
22 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

Dave Radgnedge by any chance?

If I am honest I hate to say I never knew his last name,lovely friendly bloke,his dad if I remember was a barber for the POWs working in the mills in Darwen.Went to see his collection on more than one occasion.Going back probably late 80s :$.

• Major General

Will have a word with Dave to see if its him. He a pal of mine on facecake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Major General

My pleasure DAK D. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Major General

@Lenny @Marc    The spinner i won on ebay is similar to the one pictured.

• Upvote 1

Where I used to live as a kid In Tottenham, North London, there was a TA centre in the High Road, in the rear parade area, they used to have a complete V1, minus the charge of course, that apparently came down on Tottenham Marshes. It was disarmed and a bit dented and battered and put on display, and the TA ended up with it and used to parade it at fetes etc, it was there for years and kids used to play on it when the TA was empty, God knows what happened to it, when they shut the centre down. I like your parts(so to speak), never seen internal workings or realised that it was armed by ring pulls on launching

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Dave,go have a gander to see if you can find where it has gone please... Im sure i can make room in the back garden.

Yeah ok, I,ll have me dinner first then pop down, but I,ll need to go tooled up, i,m not going there without a GPMG and a box of Mills 36s

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic things to own, my dad was bombed out of his home in London at the time these things were coming over, he was about 10 years old at the time, and remembers it very well. 

And at the same time, my uncle was trying to take them down, he managed at least one...he wrote home that it wasnt "very thrilling work" well it wouldnt, not after a year of intruding into France and Holland in  mosquito FBV1...:)

Got this combat report of his about taking a doodlebug, aka pilotless aircraft aka diver down...:) Makes some interesting reading...:)

BTW, That was written the night before him and his observer were killed...

jackie combat report001.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Fred Karno's Army
  • There's more diddly doodle bug bits appearing on eBay everyday,at least it saves broken washers and tumble dryers going to landfil lol........Buyer beware ;)9_9

• 2 months later...
  • Major General

Some more bits acquired for V-1 acquired of late.  Smashed front cone and roller where the shaft attached to the afore pictured spinner.

Shown is a stock photo from the net,then my smashed in one.

V1.jpg

DSCF0299.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Also found another VZ80a Fuze too.

DSCF0313.JPG

DSCF0311.JPG

DSCF0312.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

chance would be a fine thing....

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to be late in answering this....But years ago when I was travelling in my camper around northern France, I came into this tiny village and asked about a V1 launch site...so the kind man gave me directions how to find it, a few miles down the road, down an old farm path was a large wood, inside I found bunkers and a V1 launch pad, I think an early one as made of concrete...here are some pics the second one is in the Blockhaus near St Omer....Worth a visit! - Thanks Desert Rat

V1 launch pad in french forest near calais (2).jpg

012.jpg

• Upvote 1

All Images are Copyright of www.edenbridgetown.com - Ian Robertson Bridle, please ask permission if you want to use them and give me please the credit...Thank You.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

There was a V1 that conked out over Edenbridge in 1944, the man/ farmer that I knew ran for cover and waited for it to come down as the noise/ engine had run out of fuel...I have visited the wood where the V1 is, near to my town, and its sticking out of the ground, maybe I will dig the area as it is great to see this item and dig it up!

• Upvote 1

I hope your saying that it went off and there are only pieces sticking out of the ground, if it did,nt and it just nosedived into the wood without exploding, then it would be extremely dangerous to even  attempt to dig around it and should be reported to EOD immediately, theres enough explosives in it to completely ruin your day and many others, and it would be highly unstable after so many years. I cannot fathom that it still remains there, and no-one has bothered to even get the police involved, whether it went off or not

• Upvote 1