Collectors ww1 - ww2 ammo (legal)

ANDRIY

Hi, I am new to the forum and need advise,  I was happy to buy collection of old cartridges 1916 - 1939 Germany, UK, USSR, Japan from local flee market in Warsaw, Poland - I was assured that its legal and had interest actually in bigger size German stuff. I don't know how they new but police visited my house and ask for my collection inspection. They choose 6 cartridges from around 30 pcs and later informed me that 3 pcs are active ammo and its criminal case so I have face court.

I found some scientific reports that after 47 years ammo not performing and its actually from soil and corroded but local police experts not care. Probably Forum members and collectors can advise to which direction I should move and maybe we have some international experts body in EU to support me. 

Thank you in advance

Edited by ANDRIY
  • Like 1

• ANDRIY changed the title to Collectors ww1 - ww2 ammo (legal)

Andriy, First of, you fell into the idea that what these people told you was ok, Poland has a reputation for selling items that will get you into trouble, Second, never bye anything on some other persons word, until you have checked that its safe and its legal., Next what were the three items that they say are illegal and where are you, what country

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Andriy, First of, you fell into the idea that what these people told you was ok, Poland has a reputation for selling items that will get you into trouble, Second, never bye anything on some other persons word, until you have checked that its safe and its legal., Next what were the three items that they say are illegal and where are you, what country

I am in Poland, talk to prosecution yesterday and they not listening me that is collectors stuff and that powder not performing after 100 years and that stuff corroded, some police expert sign expertise and they prepare court listening- I have some time to work on defense- lawyers cost high like €1500 + so I can't afford now. Need some strong legal position for defense or probably independent body for ammo expertise...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ANDRIY said:

I am in Poland, talk to prosecution yesterday and they not listening me that is collectors stuff and that powder not performing after 100 years and that stuff corroded, some police expert sign expertise and they prepare court listening- I have some time to work on defense- lawyers cost high like €1500 + so I can't afford now. Need some strong legal position for defense or probably independent body for ammo expertise...

3 cartridges of mosin rifle, I am not sure but all ammo collection age 1916 - 1939

They have differant laws over there, and unless you can find someone to help you , it may be that you will get a fine , as for the type of ammo, a Mosin rifle cartridge of that age can still be classed as prohibited, I think your only defense is that you bought these and were lead to understand that these were not live and were harmless, and give the court the place where you got them from, if the court see that you are willing to admit that you are shocked to find these items were live, it may help, but I don.t know how you,re courts work,,, On a side note, you must have told someone that you had these items, the police dont come round to a persons house on a whim!!!!

• Upvote 1

Thank you but any Idea for international experts who can check ammo properly? As it powder and other chemicals can not be in working condition after 70 -80 years of soil-moisture-tempereture treatment, and its also not possible to use corroded ammo even theoretically. 

Sorry, no idea for "experts" on and international level, apart from those who deemed and brought this law out, good luck with your case

Andriy, I should not contest the findings as that will cost you even more in the long run? Your best hope is to plead ignorance and ask for clemency. Condition will not be an issue if it was live ammo? If you want to continue to collect that area perhaps empty cases would be a better option? Good luck.

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 20:22, Richard Auld said:

Andriy, I should not contest the findings as that will cost you even more in the long run? Your best hope is to plead ignorance and ask for clemency. Condition will not be an issue if it was live ammo? If you want to continue to collect that area perhaps empty cases would be a better option? Good luck.

Rich

Thank you, will try to fight, but you are right - its pretty sensitive issue, my idea, confirmed by scientists that 100 years old powder not work

• Like 1

Andrly, I don,t know who theses "scientists" are but it has been proven that 200 year old gunpowder can till be viable, that will be your  problem, unless you intend to call these people which will cost you a small fortune, even letters from them will be expensive and I,m not that hopeful that the court will accept that, I think that your best bet is take the advice that Rich has given you and hope for the best, Good luck with it

• Like 1

Another thing you may wish to consider is why the police knocked on your door?

I doubt it was random so someone that knew your interest or more likely, actually sold you the live ammo, stitched you up?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2020 at 11:39, Davejb said:

Andrly, I don,t know who theses "scientists" are but it has been proven that 200 year old gunpowder can till be viable, that will be your  problem, unless you intend to call these people which will cost you a small fortune, even letters from them will be expensive and I,m not that hopeful that the court will accept that, I think that your best bet is take the advice that Rich has given you and hope for the best, Good luck with it

Thank you, will keep you posted:)

On 18/12/2020 at 22:28, Davejb said:

They have differant laws over there, and unless you can find someone to help you , it may be that you will get a fine , as for the type of ammo, a Mosin rifle cartridge of that age can still be classed as prohibited, I think your only defense is that you bought these and were lead to understand that these were not live and were harmless, and give the court the place where you got them from, if the court see that you are willing to admit that you are shocked to find these items were live, it may help, but I don.t know how you,re courts work,,, On a side note, you must have told someone that you had these items, the police dont come round to a persons house on a whim!!!!

Thank you, will think about

• Like 1