Start of my OP career!

Richard Auld

Guys,

few more pics, this time of an exercise, the name of which escapes me but we had 'sim fix' which was some sort of laser quest stuff and the exercise was to determine if we would buy Challenger or M1 Abraham. At the time we believed it but it was apparently a forgone conclusion due to the collapse of the Shah of Iran's power base. It happened down by Wolfenbüttel South of Hannover.

op1.jpg

op2.jpg

op3.jpg

op4.jpg

op5.jpg

op6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Only just seen this post Richard...cool pics mate...:) 

My bro in law was in the QOH and at Herefordshire Barracks, I think near Munster....wife and I went to visit in summer 1983...John ( my bro in law) was a  Cpl at that time....we had some great times in the NAAFI on the camp..and some great times in the village of Roxel where they lived......he ended up as a Sgt during Gulf 1...(never the same guy again)..it was his signals warrior that was destroyed by friendly fire from a US A10....he was about 1/2 mile from it at the time and saw the tragic event happening....anyway, one of the best holidays I've ever had was when we went to Germany in 1983.....:)

• Like 1

Yes they were here in Bergen in the 80's. I remember the incident and the families were after the the US air crew for many years (press driven). There were many moving parts and the Recce lads had pushed on further than expected and Bde had not de-activated the kill boxes as I remember from a course I was on to learn just how not to repeat this, luckily then in 91 was further back with Scots DG Battle Group. I Always found the whole thing tragic as the US airmen would surely have given everything to take back that shot but you can't when it has left the barrel or launch rail. Siht happens! It's not a game!

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Like 1