What is this ring?

Richie

I was given a collection of badges, & other military memorabilia previously owned by a relative (a Sgt in NZ Engineers) who was KIA 23/10/42 at the 2nd battle of El Alamein.  I've never been able to identify this item which is a ring of some description. Made of black plastic, bakerlite or similar with a silver handshake emblem on the front.  Does anyone know what this is exactly?  Note the collection contained both Allied and Italian militaria.

Meek 2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Richie,

I have done a fair bit or research but can only find the near enough to your ring.....but it's Masonic and Sterling Silver.

If I find any answers for you I will let you know.

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

download.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Richie,

As I say if I find anymore info on the ring I will let you know....Can you please show us on MCN any other items from your collection?

We look forward to seeing them....Best to you......Desert Rat/ Ian

I just wanted to say my Dad fought in the Western Desert with the 8th Army......If you have anything please show us...PLEASE!

Many Thanks...Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

As a matter of general interest here are some other items from his collection (which I've largely been able to identify).  The odd one out is the MG badge in the middle row which I believe is a WWI badge (I was told that he served in both World Wars but I can't find any WW1 service record for him).  The bottom row is mostly Italian badges including from the fascist youth groups ONB and Figli Della Lupa (which operated in the late 30's).  There was also a bayonet which his family assumed to have been his own service bayonet but which in fact was a Terni bayonet.

IMGP0957.JPG

• Upvote 2

Hello Richie, 

Great looking badges...superb for your collection. I will have a better look tomorrow as my dinner / Pizza is burning...Sorry!

Many Thanks & Best Wishes....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

Extract from the NZ's official war history of the account of Sgt Allen's death while clearing mines at the onset of the 2nd Battle of El Alamein:

The field was not marked on our side and Miller and Claridge went forward with the first infantry wave to place a beacon light at the approximate boundary as a guide for the sappers. On the way back to their sections Lieutenant Miller was mortally wounded and Sergeant Allen8 took charge of No. 2 Section.
Company Headquarters followed behind the north lane clearing party, accompanied by a detachment of Divisional Signals who were running a line forward and who also had a wireless set rigged up in a Bren carrier in case of mishaps. In front of the sappers a pilot machine was searching for mines, but in the page 354 event it was the OC who found the first one with his jeep. He was out of it at the time and, although the vehicle was wrecked, the driver escaped with a shaking.
Sergeant Allen's section made such good time through the first enemy minefield that Major Reid altered his plan and told him to carry on while No. 3 Section widened the lane to the required forty yards. The section disappeared into the smoke and dust and were nearly on the final objective when there was an explosion so loud that it momentarily drowned the barrage. A trip-wire had exploded a 500-pound bomb—one of our own used by the enemy—killing Sergeant Allen and three others and wounding twelve more, nearly half the section at one blow. Other booby-trapped bombs were found later spread over the minefield with wires radiating from them like the web of an evil spider. The remnants of the section were sent back to the first gap and Lieutenant Andrew's party brought forward. Andrew, trying to fight off a severe attack of jaundice, then led his section to where a second minefield had been located at the foot of Miteiriya. It was in this belt that Andrew found the first S-mines that the sappers had knowingly encountered; the forward field had probably been left clear of them so that patrols could move about freely. The sapper officer went ahead of the minesweepers and disarmed the new menaces. It was a very tricky operation at any time and in the dusty moonlight extremely hazardous, for there were only three little wire prongs to be seen and some were connected to nearly invisible trip wires. He was awarded an MC for his coolness and leadership.
The lane was opened by 5 a.m., No. 2 Section widening it while the others searched for safe vehicle dispersal areas. There was another belt of mines on the forward slope of the ridge in the 26 Battalion area and the sappers were preparing to move over the crest and tackle it in daylight when they were stopped by the Brigade Commander. Nobody would have lived long above ground on that bare slope in daylight.

• Upvote 1

Hello Richie,

Fantastic Account of the Heroe's of El Alemain, certainly they all suffered so much with the heat, and my Dad told me they had competitions to see how many flies each squad could catch...the winners got a packet of 10 cigarettes. And they cooked their Bully Beef and eggs on the edge of the tank..as it was so hot. Just one story of many as he didn't tell me much being a young boy, but he went across to Sicily then landed at Salerno made their way through the South of Italy, then most recalled for D-Day, in which my Dad landed on the 6th June 1944 in the afternoon, up through France, Belgium, Holland and into Germany with Monty's 21st Army Group.....Then back home as the War ended!

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

Photo of my Dad taken while he was in Tripoli...aged 21

DAD  02.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ian.  Thanks for the great photo.  I like your Dad's story.  Sounds like he pretty much covered all major theatres of the war in the Desert and Western Europe and, best of all, he survived to tell the tale.  Thanks also for trying to ID that ring.  I have tried and I can't find anything quite like it, which only makes me more curious.

Kind Regards,

Richard

• Upvote 1

Hello Richie,

Thanks for your message, I am still trying to find the origin of this ring of yours as I am also intrigued as to were it originated from etc?

Just wondering if it really is an old 19th century ring....I really dont know at the moment.

If you find any info please let me know....as I will still be looking and let you know....We Hope..!

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian-UK

PS....I just have a couple of more accounts of my Dad in the Western Desert.....I will try and find the stories what he told me....What I remember they were terrible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian.  I will keep you posted if I learn anything about the ring.  The fact that it came with a collection of WW2 era memorabilia may well be a red herring.  I would love to hear any WW2 stories of your Dad's.  We think that we are living through difficult times at present but relative to what your Dad's generation went through, not so much.

Cheers,

Richard

• Upvote 1

Hello Richie,

For me it's a pleasure to chat as such with you, as I seem to get a few problems with some members....I really appreciate you kind comments and that we have a nice/ pleasurable time on MCN. and more so you seem very kind in your comments and appreciate what I have to say and the images I publish on here. Please look at the  - Topic - Robert Spiers Band of Brothers Fame....The you will see what I mean......I wish others could feel the way you do...Such is Life...Ca La Vie!

Take care and Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian.  I did have a read as you suggested.  Misunderstandings are sadly not unusual on social media and can easily escalate.  It is a pity that sometimes people aren't more tolerant and civil.  Just don't worry about it; life is too short.  For what it's worth I have found you to be very helpful and I enjoyed our conversation on a subject of mutual interest (which presumably is what a site like this is all about).

Cheers,

Richard

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2021 at 14:42, Desert Rat said:

Hello Richie,

Fantastic Account of the Heroe's of El Alemain, certainly they all suffered so much with the heat, and my Dad told me they had competitions to see how many flies each squad could catch...the winners got a packet of 10 cigarettes. And they cooked their Bully Beef and eggs on the edge of the tank..as it was so hot. Just one story of many as he didn't tell me much being a young boy, but he went across to Sicily then landed at Salerno made their way through the South of Italy, then most recalled for D-Day, in which my Dad landed on the 6th June 1944 in the afternoon, up through France, Belgium, Holland and into Germany with Monty's 21st Army Group.....Then back home as the War ended!

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

Photo of my Dad taken while he was in Tripoli...aged 21

DAD  02.jpg

Thats a great photo of your dad @Desert Rat

• Upvote 1