Air Raid Siren

Daniel

This is my favorite toy in my collection WWII air raid siren and it's LOUD. made by Federal Electric Company Inc. Chicago

100_2999.JPG

100_3000.JPG

100_3001.JPG

100_3002.JPG

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Oh you think thats loud! Wait til my mate @Satan1800 posts those rascals he has!:o

Can I post vids on hear as this was new years eve in my back garden ,and excuse the regenerative braking on the end wind down  but this beast will do 4 miles in still air at 140 db

received_10204291511426420.mp4

• Upvote 3

• Major General

:D

Jeeezus H! Yeah man,it plays ok

• Upvote 1

very nice. but I can take mine with me anywhere.

• Upvote 1

• Major General
39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

very nice. but I can take mine with me anywhere.

Good point Daniel!

• Upvote 1

• Major General

I've an old wooden ARP gas rattle, the type postwar footie fans used at matches, and it's flippin' loud.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Waffenamt said:

Good point Daniel!

Mind you I've rewound from 3 phase down to single phase which helps a bit ie generator :D

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fred Karno's Army

Ideal for alerting the local households prior to lighting my BBQ and subsequent smoke inhalation fears :ph34r:

Back in the late 70s there was an Air Raid siren in a small hamlet just North of the main town where I was patrolling while in the police force, It was on a three pole platform about 40 feet up on a hill overlooking the whole country side, One night about 2am it went off, which as you can expect awoke the whole town and surrounding areas, Because it was a civil defence property since the war,hundreds of people were all over the place wondering if an alert for Nuclear War had been called. The only way we could stop it was to break into the control box, not an easy thing to do, and then shut it down. It took us about an hour and it took about 10 minutes for the damn thing to actually wind down and stop. If you ever get near one of these things when its going off, wear ear protection, we had ringing in our ears for days after. Plus my Sergeant got a roasting for interfering with a Civil Defence installation, which is quite a serious offence

15 hours ago, Davejb said:

Back in the late 70s there was an Air Raid siren in a small hamlet just North of the main town where I was patrolling while in the police force, It was on a three pole platform about 40 feet up on a hill overlooking the whole country side, One night about 2am it went off, which as you can expect awoke the whole town and surrounding areas, Because it was a civil defence property since the war,hundreds of people were all over the place wondering if an alert for Nuclear War had been called. The only way we could stop it was to break into the control box, not an easy thing to do, and then shut it down. It took us about an hour and it took about 10 minutes for the damn thing to actually wind down and stop. If you ever get near one of these things when its going off, wear ear protection, we had ringing in our ears for days after. Plus my Sergeant got a roasting for interfering with a Civil Defence installation, which is quite a serious offence

Interesting story Davejb. I can remember the one in my neighborhood and they would test it every first Saturday of the month at 12 noon. They quit testing it sometime in the late 70's or in 1980.

Yes, about the same time they took out the Nuclear War warning devices in all police stations, It was a type of receiver on the wall, every Sunday you had to test it by turning it on for about 10 minutes, listening to an endless series of clicks, if you got a flash message , that was it, you bent over and kissed you backside goodbye. We were all in the Station office one Sunday morning having a cuppa  and this bloody thing was clicking away then it stopped, "flash flash flash" came out of it, you can imagine the faces on us. One thought was to grab the nearest WPC and go out with a bang, but seeing there were only two of them there would have been a scramble among six coppers and a sergeant, but before anything else happened another warning came out "cancel cancel cancel" We had to phone a special number of the Civil Defence Corp, and it was an apparent electrical fault in the recording system, but they were taken out soon after as the Nuclear threat no longer existed as such. But it sure made our rectal passages pucker a bit:S 

On 20/03/2016 at 18:39, Davejb said:

Yes, about the same time they took out the Nuclear War warning devices in all police stations, It was a type of receiver on the wall, every Sunday you had to test it by turning it on for about 10 minutes, listening to an endless series of clicks, if you got a flash message , that was it, you bent over and kissed you backside goodbye. We were all in the Station office one Sunday morning having a cuppa  and this bloody thing was clicking away then it stopped, "flash flash flash" came out of it, you can imagine the faces on us. One thought was to grab the nearest WPC and go out with a bang, but seeing there were only two of them there would have been a scramble among six coppers and a sergeant, but before anything else happened another warning came out "cancel cancel cancel" We had to phone a special number of the Civil Defence Corp, and it was an apparent electrical fault in the recording system, but they were taken out soon after as the Nuclear threat no longer existed as such. But it sure made our rectal passages pucker a bit:S 

That's an amusing story and memory @Davejb

D