Bronze Eagle Signed by artist or engraved for a Von Behr? German?

YeahMe

I purchased this quite large eagle at an estate sale of an antique collector who had other militaria.  His family did not know anything about the eagle except that it was part of his antique collection.  I could not find an artist listed anywhere, and certainly anyone with that last name post-WWII would probably not sign a bronze eagle.  It's unusual not to find some other piece or name of the artist because it's professional work.

I think it's just a pre-WWII eagle but I thought I should ask for any input.  Does it look like it could potentially be from WWII Germany?  I searched for images of offices of both Von Behr officers just to see if by chance they had a wall eagle, albeit without success, just in case...

Thank you in advance for any input.  Cheers.

IMG_7671.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7689.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

IMG_7699.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

Edited by YeahMe
  • Like 1

Hello Yeahme and Welcome to MCN.

Very nice item/ badge, I have had a look on Google and sorry to say I cannot find anything like it even German WW1....?

If I find anything about it I will let you know.

Best to you.....Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Thanks Desert Rat.  I looked everywhere as well which led me here.  It's ~10" tall X 8.5" (at base).  Maybe it's just a German-American made piece made pre-WWII.  Or sat in an airline headquarters...

• Upvote 1

Ok lets give this a go, there is (or was a Palace called the Von Behr  Palace) A 19th century Mansion from a Medeval Aristogratic family, that went up in flames at the end of WW2, there were pieces from the Palace that have since not been found, Now this is not to say that the piece you have is from that fire or even part of that palace, but it means that you have a big job in trying to trace this piece, so good luck with it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

Ok lets give this a go, there is (or was a Palace called the Von Behr  Palace) A 19th century Mansion from a Medeval Aristogratic family, that went up in flames at the end of WW2, there were pieces from the Palace that have since not been found, Now this is not to say that the piece you have is from that fire or even part of that palace, but it means that you have a big job in trying to trace this piece, so good luck with it

Thanks Dave.  I thought that as a remote possibility though small chance.  I have spent some time following that just in case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok,If you get anywhere with finding about this Eagle let us know

• Like 1

Hello Yeah,

Considering what has been said and commented on...It's very possible that Davejb ......he has the final answer to your question, I do not know after searching on Google....But he is far nearer than I am to the final answer.

Best to You....Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat

44 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Best to You....Desert Rat/ Ian

Yes, agree, thanks for the motivation.

• Like 1

Looking at the rear of the Eagle, does that look like fire damage or is it just heavy wear

23 hours ago, Davejb said:

Looking at the rear of the Eagle, does that look like fire damage or is it just heavy wear

It doesn't have much wear-just dust.  Looks like it was removed from a wall and sat in a box for some years.  I initially thought it was brass coated to look bronze until I looked down the screw holes and more closely at any scratches.

• Like 2

Hell Yeah,

I have had a look on Google and as Dave has mentioned it was a castle/ mansion and burnt down at the end of WW2...But the indications are it was in Latvia and not Germany? Have a look on Google and just type in - von behr castle/ mansion......I hope I am right???

Best to you....Desert Rat

http://www.ambermarks.com/_Pieminekli/GarieApraksti/KuldigasRaj/EdolesPag/EEdoles_vid_pils.htm

Sincere Thanks to Ambermarks for the link, and for the History, Text and Images to .ⓒ 2009 Gatis Pavils..........Thank You!

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

I see it as listed in Pomerania, German side.  I think there may be two places.  Von Behr Palace, later renamed Behrenhoff.  But the more I look, and the condition, makes me think it is just an item taken back from the war if any relationship to WWII, but more likely just an artist with that last name who's other works haven't surfaced.  Maybe made a few pieces and had an unfortunate early end to his/her life.  Or quit art to make money...lol.

Thanks.

• Like 1

You are correct it was in Pomerania, German side and not in Latvia which is on the Baltic side and part of Russia

• Like 1

Sorry to you both as I got the wrong area and the castle as I thought via Google it was in Latvia...!!!

Got a bit confused due to quite a few names of the Von Behr family and lived in different statley homes/ castles etc all over the place.

Best to you both.......Desert Rat

I really appreciate that a stranger spent time helping me.  I owe you one.  For some reason I don't get notified about messages but maybe PM through this emails me, so if and when you ever have question about makers mark on jewelry or want input on some small antique, ask away.

Thanks Desert Rat.  

I'm too busy with other things to work that much more on the eagle.  I will keep it priced a little high until I spend more time,  so I don't lose too much if it was anything special.  If someone had discovered what it was (i.e. something special $$), I am type that doesn't forget and would have given some kind of kick-back of course.

• Thanks 1

Hi YeahMe, thats very good of you , but there is no need to offer , that is why we are hear, and we do this to help any member if we can, That is how this forum has a good reputation, if there is some thing that we do not no and a member can help then that is great, it keeps the forum going and we have learned from it , we are not to proud to learn something new, good luck and enjoy your time hear, Dave

• Like 2

Hello Yeah,

As Dave has mentioned, we are all the more pleased to assist new and old members with any Military Problems, some more than me, especially Davejb, he has a greater knowledge than I will ever have , but his kindness and expertise is a great help to us all.

Best Wishes to you both....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Upvote 1