BEWARE...A WARNING IF YOU GO TO THE BATTLEFIELDS

Desert Rat

Hello To You All, 

This is  a very SERIOUS WARNING....( Many will understand this) but for the beginners and enthusiasts )If you decide to visit the Battlefields of WW1 in France and Belgium, and see on the side of the road perhaps a yellow painted (or on the side of the shells) mark - Obus- this means that a "Live shell/ shells or grenades/ that many or few are delibertey stacked there by the farmer and are marked for the (de Mineaurs , the Official experienced- Bomb Disposal troops in France & Belgium)to collect, and take to safe place to detonate and explode) and are Highly Dangerous - not only high explosives but some are filled with Chlorine, Mustard or Phosegene Gas.......PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH OR HANDLE---THESE CAN EXPLODE IMMEDIATELY WITH HANDLING AND CAN KILL YOU........or if you decide to look in the potato fields which I have done, I have found "Live" British / German/ French grenades, again please do not handle as this "Harvest of Death" is still killing many Farmers and innocent people who "Believe" they are safe after 100 years.....THEY ARE NOT BY ANY MEANS.!!!!!

Just for an example one British man went to visit the Battlefields of WW1 and loaded his camper with over 20 "Live" shells, grenades and bullets----He was stopped at Dover customs to examine his van and was immediately arrested by the Police when these were found, he was given a prison sentence, they confiscated his camper and given a.. £5, 000 fine, and 3 months in prison.....A BIG MISTAKE!

Here are some images what I have found, but if you do decide to bring them back to the UK....The consequences are on your shoulders!

Stay Safe, Be Careful and use your common sense.....PLEASE!

Desert Rat

If you want to collect any "dead" shells ask the farmer....this Farmer has dozens outside his house by Beaumont-Hamel just 1/4 mile down the road.....approach him and ask if "Ces't possible pour moi achete la obus, ces't au vendue?"Comme bien la prix? "and pay the price you want, but just a word of advice - haggle with the farmer to the price, don't take his best offer as HE KNOWS you want it...

But be very careful at the UK customs.......they may well confiscated them etc....???

Stay Very Safe and Be Very Careful......Desert Rat

Images Sole Copyright of I. R. Bridle

IMGP6243.JPG

WW1 SHELL.jpg

SHELL FOUND BY ME.jpg

IMGP6241 (2).JPG

GRENADE FOUND BY ME 2013 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Ian, I need to ask, did you obtain Copyright permission from the people that you have listed, ie ITV, Rueters and Reddit if you have then its fine, if not you will need to remove those items or risk being fined, or even worst the Forum being fined,From what I have read it comes under Copyright Law and you need to have permission from all parties, it may be that as a forum we are ok but do we risk it

• Thanks 1

OK Dave,

I will remove them as I couldn't contact those companies by phone or e-mail.

Best to you......Ian

The Bomb Disposal from France who were on their collection route and showed me a whole truck load of shells, grenades, bullets etc. And this grenade which I pointed out to them in the potato field....showing me that it was a "Live" one and the pin still in it, any that I found I would mark it in the field with a stick and a ribbon, or tin can whatever I could find. I had slept there the night to visit Beaumont-Hamel and met the De Minuers in the morning and showed them what I had found.

And they were very appreciative that I had marked them, nice men but a "Helluva dangerous job!

Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

OK Dave,

You tube now removed I hope.....Thanks for your reminder about the Copyright....I should have known that!!!

Best to you....Ian

Its gone now I think its for the best, I saw a comment that someone was charged with a £50,000 fee for posting something that was Copyright and that was from one of the TV company,s

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

WOW.......Yes I am sure it can be this much money due to Copyright from any one, let alone the big companies.....Again thanks for your reminder....I will try and be very careful .

Best to you and your wife.......Desert Rat/ Ian